TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 5 University of Tampa Spartans defeat the No. 7 NYIT Bears by a score of 10-9.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa Spartans 10, NYIT Bears 9
Records: Tampa (4-0), NYIT (1-2)
Location: Naimoli Family Field l Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The NYIT Bears and the Tampa Spartans are tied in the all-time series, each with two wins and two losses.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Spartans were the first team on the board with a goal from junior Andrew Kew, the assist by Donavon Dempsey.
- With 7:27 left in the first period, Matt Vetter got a goal, the assist by Jake Mosher McGraw.
- The NYIT Bears then answered with their first goal of the game with 6:22 left in the first.
- At the end of the first period, the Spartans led the Bears 2-1.
- In the first minute of play to start the second period, Kew netted his second goal of the day.
- Less than a minute later, NYIT answered with a goal of their own. The Spartans still held the lead 3-2.
- Kew then scored his third goal of the game, his 14th of the season.
- The Bears then earned their third goal of the game with 7:24 remaining in the half.
- Sophomore Bryan Wright scored his first goal of the game, the assist from Shane Hanlon. Tampa held the lead over NYIT 5-3.
- The Bears then scored again with 3:43 remaining in the half.
- Heading into halftime, the Spartans led the Bears 5-4.
- Coming out of halftime, the Bears were the first on the board to tie the game at 5, with 13:22 left in the period.
- Mosher McGraw then got his first goal of the game, once again giving Tampa the one point advantage.
- Matt Vetter then scored his second goal of the night, this time from Mosher McGraw. Tampa now tops NYIT 7-5.
- Sophomore Chris Cox then scored his first goal of the season with 2:26 left in the half. The Spartans lead 8-5 heading into the fourth period.
- To start the fourth period, NYIT was the first on the board, with two goals in the first four minutes. The Spartans still held the lead 8-7.
- Kew answered, scoring his fourth goal of the day.
- Mosher McGraw then earned his second goal of the day, this time from Kew. Tampa 10, NYIT 7.
- The Bears then netted their eighth goal of the game with 2:55 remaining. They still trailed by two.
- Then with 50 seconds left, the Bears scored again, making it a one-point game. The score; University of Tampa 10, New York Institute of Technology 9.
- FINAL. The Tampa Spartans defeat the NYIT Bears 10-9.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Kew led the Spartans in goals with 4.
- Vetter and Mosher McGraw, each logged two goals.
- Kew and Mosher McGraw also led the team in assists, each with two.
- Ross Dickerson led the Spartans in ground balls with six. Dickerson won 9 of his 18 faceoffs.
- B.J. Borowski played the entire 60 minutes for the Spartans, recording 11 saves in the contest.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Chris Cox earned a goal, marking the first of his Sophomore Campaign.
Tampa will return home on Saturday, March 3rd for a 1:00 p.m. matchup against the North Greenville University Crusaders.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.