TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 3 University of Tampa Spartans defeat the Westminster Griffins by a score of 19-9.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa Spartans 19, Westminster Griffins 9
Records: Tampa (6-0), Westminster (2-2, 0-1 RMAC))
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
All-time Series: The Tampa Spartans lead the all-time series over the Westminster Griffins 2-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Spartans were the first team on the board with 9:12 remaining in the period from a goal by Hunter Van Horn.
- Nine seconds later, Andrew Kew netted a goal for UT, the assist by Chris Cox.
- Then with 7:22 left in the period, Tampa scored again. This time from Max Lambert, the assist by Cox.
- Then with 4:30 remaining, the Griffins finally answered scoring their first goal of the game.
- Shane Hanlon then made the score 4-1 with 3:22 left in the first.
- Sophomore Bryan Wright earned his first goal of the day with the assist by Jake Mosher McGraw.
- Andrew Kew then scored his second goal of the day, this goal also from Mosher McGraw.
- The Spartans held the lead 6-1 at the end of the first period.
- To start the second period, Matt Vetter put Tampa on the board with a goal, the assist from Mosher McGraw.
- A minute later, Vetter netted another goal for the Spartans.
- Van Horn earned his second goal of the day with 8:56 remaining in the half.
- Shane Hanlon made it 10-1 with 3:15 remaining in the half.
- Then with 1:22 remaining in the period, Ronnie Shul scored the first goal of his collegiate career, the assist was by Joe Bradley.
- Heading into halftime, Tampa led 11-1.
- Coming out of halftime, the Spartans picked up right where they left off, with a goal from Wright.
- Finally, after eight unanswered goals, the Griffins scored again making the score 12-2.
- However, Wright refused to be silenced and scored his third goal of the game with 5:22 remaining.
- Less than a minute later, Kansai Garey netted one for UT. With 3:00 left in the period, the Griffins scored their third goal of the day. Tamps still held the lead by 11.
- James Pugliese then scored back-to-back goals to end the third, both from Garey.
- The Spartans now led the Griffins 16-3.
- To start the fourth period, Westminster finally started to find a rhythm on offense scoring four goals.
- Jud Huxtable then gave UT the 17-7 lead with another goal.
- The final two goals for the Spartan were scored at 5:58 by Sean Halpin, the assist from Spencer Eysaman. The second of the two goals was from Joe Bradley.
- The final two goals of the game were by the Griffins.
- The Tampa Spartans defeated the Westminster Griffins by a final score of 19-9.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Wright led the Spartans in goals with three. Followed by Vetter, Van Horn, Pugliese, Hanlon, and Kew all with two.
- Mosher McGraw, led the team in assists with three. Garey and Cox each had two.
- Ross Dickerson led the Spartans in ground balls with five, in addition to winning 8-9 faceoffs.
- Devon Hess won 6-6 faceoffs and also logged five ground balls.
- B.J. Borowski and Bryan Karn each recorded four saves against the Griffins.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Freshman Ronnie Shul logged the first goal of his collegiate career.
- Sophomore Joe Bradley earned a goal, marking the first of his collegiate career.
- Junior Kansai Garey also recorded the first goal of his collegiate career.
Tampa will compete against the Colorado Mesa Mavericks on Saturday, March 10th in Salt Lake City, Utah. The game is slated to begin at 11:00 a.m. MT.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.