TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 3 University of Tampa Spartans fall to the Colorado Mesa Mavericks by a score of 10-9.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa Spartans 9, Colorado Mesa Mavericks 10
Records: Tampa (6-1), Colorado Mesa (5-0, 1-0 RMAC)
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
All-time Series: The Colorado Mesa Mavericks lead the all-time series over the Tampa Spartans, 4-3.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Spartans were the first team on the board with a goal from Jake Mosher McGraw with 12:38 remaining in the first period.
- Less than a minute later, sophomore Bryan Wright netted one for the Spartans.
- With 4:28 left in the first, Jack Tyrrell earned a goal for the Spartans making it 3-0.
- To start the second period, the Mavericks scored first putting them on the board.
- Then with 9:45 left in the half, Max Lambert scored for UT, the assist by Shane Hanlon.
- Colorado Mesa then scored again, making the score Spartans 4, Mavericks 2.
- Bryan Wright then scored his second goal of the day, the assist by Matt Vetter.
- Vetter then scored a goal of his own with 2:17 remaining in the half.
- Heading into halftime, Tampa led Colorado Mesa 6-2.
- Coming out of halftime, the Mavericks were the first team to get back on the board.
- Colorado Mesa then scored again, narrowing the Spartans lead to two points.
- With 12:23 remaining in the period, Vetter earned another goal for the Spartans.
- The Mavericks answered, the score now, Tampa 7, Colorado Mesa 5.
- Mosher McGraw then netted a goal for the Spartans, the assist from Shane Hanlon.
- Colorado Mesa then scored back-to-back goals. Tampa still held a one-point lead.
- At the end of the third period, the Spartans were defeating the Mavericks 8-7.
- To start the fourth period, Colorado Mesa scored two more goals taking the lead over the Spartans 9-8.
- Tampa's final goal of the day came from Mosher McGraw, the assist from Vetter with 8:12 left to play.
- The Mavericks then scored once more, securing the victory Colorado Mesa 10, Tampa 9.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Three different Spartans had two goals for Tampa. These players included Vetter, Wright, and Mosher McGraw.
- Vetter also led the team in assists with two.
- On defense, Luke Robideaux recorded two caused turnovers and two ground balls.
- Ross Dickerson led the Spartans in ground balls with 11, in addition to winning 18-24 faceoffs.
- B.J. Borowski recorded 11 saves against the Mavericks.
Tampa will return home Wednesday, March 14th, for a 8:00 p.m. contest against the Belmont Abbey College Crusaders. The Spartans will also play at home on Saturday, March 17th against the Lindenwood Lions at 1:00 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.