TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 7 University of Tampa Spartans defeated the No. 10 Belmont Abbey College Crusaders by a final score of 13-12.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa Spartans 13, Belmont Abbey Crusaders 12
Records: Tampa (7-1), Belmont Abbey (5-2)
Location: Naimoli Family Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Belmont Abbey Crusaders lead the all-time series over the Tampa Spartans, 2-1.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Crusaders were the first team to score with 11:20 remaining in the period.
- Two minutes later, UT answered with a goal from Donavon Dempsey, the assist by Max Lambert.
- Jake Mosher McGraw then scored back-to-back goals for the Spartans, giving them a 3-1 lead.
- Then with 5:47 left in the period, netted their second goal of the day.
- To start the second period, Belmont Abbey was once again the first team to score, tying the game at 3.
- Nine seconds later Andrew Kew scored a goal for the Spartans.
- To tie the game the Crusaders logged a goal with 11:43 left in the half.
- Sophomore Bryan Wright then scored for Tampa.
- BAC answered, the game tied at 5 with 9:24 left in the half.
- The Spartans then scored the next two goals. The first once again from Jake Mosher McGraw with the assist from Wright. The second recorded by Shane Hanlon.
- Belmont Abbey scored the last goal of the half.
- Heading into halftime, Tampa led Belmont Abbey 7-6.
- Coming out of halftime, the Crusaders were the first team to get back on the board.
- Then with 12:52 on the clock, Max Lambert earned a goal for the Spartans.
- BAC then scored the next two goals, giving them the one point advantage at 9-8.
- Hunter Van Horn tied the game at 9 with 5:43 left in the period.
- The Crusaders once again netted a goal for the one point lead.
- Mosher McGraw then scored his fourth goal, the assist from Kew.
- Matt Vetter then logged a goal to give Tampa the 11-10 lead.
- To start the fourth period, Belmont Abbey scored tying the game at 11.
- UT then scored back-to-back goals, within ten seconds of each other, to give them the 13-11 lead. The first goal was by Max Lambert, the assist by Vetter. The second goal by Kew, the assist from Lambert.
- BAC scored the final goal of the game with 28 seconds remaining.
- The No. 7 Spartans defeated the No. 10 Crusaders by a final score of 13-12.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Mosher McGraw led the Spartans on offense with four goals, followed by Kew and Lambert each with two.
- Lambert also led the team in assists with two.
- On defense, Luke Posner recorded two caused turnovers and one ground balls.
- Ross Dickerson led the Spartans in ground balls with 7, in addition to winning 12-16 faceoffs.
- B.J. Borowski recorded 6 saves against the Crusaders.
The Spartans will play at home on Saturday, March 17th against the No. 16 Lindenwood Lions at 1:00 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.