DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – The No. 9 University of Tampa Spartans defeated the Embry-Riddle Eagles by a final score of 18-4.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa Spartans 18, Embry-Riddle Eagles 4
Records: Tampa (9-2), Embry-Riddle (1-8)
Location: Embry-Riddle Lacrosse Field | Daytona Beach, Fla.
All-time Series: The Tampa Spartans lead the all-time series over the Embry-Riddle Eagles 1-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Bryan Wright scored the first goal of the game, the assist from Matt Vetter.
- Then with 9:56 left in the first period, UT scored again. This time from Hunter Van Horn, the assist by Andrew Kew.
- The next goal of the contest came from Kew himself, the assist from Wright.
- With 4:17 left in the period, Van Horn scored his second goal of the day, giving Tampa the 4-0 lead.
- Less than a minute later, Jud Huxtable netted a goal for the Spartans.
- Embry-Riddle got their first goal of the contest with 3:24 left in the first.
- Tampa answered with a goal from Matt Vetter, the assist coming from Huxtable.
- With under a minute left in the first, Tampa scored back-to-back goals. The first coming from Vetter, the assist by Jack Shelton. The second goal by Shane Hanlon with six seconds left on the clock.
- At the end of the first period, Tampa led the Embry-Riddle Eagles 8-1.
- The Eagles scored the first goal of the second period with 4:27 left in the half.
- Wright answered with a man-up goal, the assist from Kew.
- To give UT the 10-2 lead, Jake Mosher McGraw netted the final goal of the half with 1:33 on the clock.
- After the half, Kew headed Tampa's offensive front with a goal, the assist by Wright.
- Two minutes later, Kew scored another goal for the Spartans making the score 12-2.
- With 9:30 on the clock, Kew then scored his third goal of the period, this time once again from Wright.
- Reversing the roles, at 5:59 Wright netted a goal from Kew. Tampa cushioned the lead 14-2.
- The Embry-Riddle Eagles scored the final goal of the period with 2:07 on the clock.
- The first goal of the fourth period was scored by Tampa's Joe Bradley, the assist by Spencer Eysaman.
- A minute later, the Eagles answered scoring their final goal of the game. Tampa continued to hold the lead 15-4.
- With five minutes left in the contest, Luke Curran scored his second goal of the season, off the assist from Eysaman.
- UT's Michael Lucchesi logged the next goal for the Spartans. This goal marked his first of the season.
- The final goal of the game was scored by Eysaman, with three seconds left on the clock.
- The Spartans defeated the Eagles by a final score of 18-4.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Kew led the Spartans offensively, logging four goals and three assists, followed by Wright who had three goals and three assists.
- Luke Robideaux and Wright led the Spartans in groundballs, each with four.
- Harrison Bliss and Eric Mullin had two caused turnovers each, leading the Spartans in this category.
- Noah Menendez led the Spartans in faceoff wins, recording 12-14.
- B.J. Borowski and Bryan Karn stood in the cage for UT. Borowski recorded one save, while Karn earned 7.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Lucchesi logged his first goal of the season, while Bradley, Eysaman, and Curran all recorded their second goals of the season.
- This marked the first time in program history that these two schools faced each other in men's lacrosse.
The Spartans will play a neutral site game against No. 3 Lenoir-Rhyne on Saturday, March 31st, in Savannah, Georgia.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.