TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 9 University of Tampa Spartans defeat SSC rival, the Florida Southern Moccasins by a final score of 15-9.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 9 Tampa Spartans 15, Florida Southern Spartans 9
Records: Tampa (10-3, 2-1 SSC), Florida Southern (7-4, 2-1 SSC)
Location: Naimoli Family Intramural and Athletic Complex | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Tampa Spartans lead the all-time series against the Florida Southern Moccasins 10-1.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the first 45 seconds of the contest, the Moccasins scored, putting FSC on the board first.
- A minute later, Hunter Van Horn scored for UT tying the game at 1.
- Tampa then took the lead with a goal from Andrew Kew, the assist by Matt Vetter.
- Vetter than netted a goal of his own, the assist by Kew.
- With 9:34 left in the period, Kew scored again for Tampa, this time from sophomore Bryan Wright.
- Wright earned a goal with 5:41, making the score 5-1. The assist came from Jud Huxtable.
- The final goal of the first period was scored by Jake Mosher McGraw with 1:47 left on the clock.
- Matt Vetter scored the first goal of the second period, giving UT the 7-1 lead.
- Wright then netted his second goal of the game with 9:20 left in the half.
- Chris Cox earned his first goal of the game giving Tampa the eight-point lead 9-1.
- FSC finally scored with 5:37 left in the half.
- Kew then stated his third goal of the game off the assist from Luke Posner.
- The final goal of the half was scored by the Moccasins with 35 seconds remaining.
- At the half, the University of Tampa Spartans led the Florida Southern Moccasins 10-3.
- Coming out of halftime, UT picked up right where they left off with a goal from Bryan Wright.
- FSC answered a minute later, still trailing by seven.
- The Moccasins then scored the next two goals, with 8:46 left in the period.
- Kew then earned his fourth goal of the contest with 6:23 remaining. The Spartans continued to hold the lead over the Moccasins 12-6.
- Florida Southern got the next goal of the contest with 4:21 on the clock.
- The final goal of the third period was from Mosher McGraw with the assist by Van Horn.
- Heading into the fourth period, the Spartans led the Moccasins 13-7.
- The first goal of the fourth period was scored by Matt Vetter. The score, Tampa 14, Florida Southern 7.
- With 11:01 remaining in the game, Luke Curran scored his first goal of the contest.
- The Mocs the scored the next two goals with 1:57 left in the game.
- The No. 9 University of Tampa Spartans defeated the Florida Southern College Moccasins by a final score of 15-9.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Kew led the Spartans on offense with four goals and one assist. Followed by Wright and Vetter each with three goals and one assist.
- Julian Bombart had the most caused turnovers for the Spartans with three.
- Ross Dickerson led the Spartans in ground balls with nine. Additionally, Dickerson led the team in faceoff wins, logging 14-20.
- B.J. Borowski recorded 15 saves in the cage for the Spartans.
The Spartans will host the No. 6 Saint Leo University Lions on Saturday, April 7th at 8:00 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.