BOCA RATON, Fla. – The No. 7 University of Tampa Spartans outbattled the Lynn Fighting Knights, earning a 13-6 victory.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 7 Tampa Spartans 13, Lynn Fighting Knights 6
Records: Tampa (13-4, 5-2 SSC), Lynn (9-6, 2-5 SSC)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: The Tampa Spartans lead the all-time series against the Lynn Fighting Knights 6-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Matt Vetter put Tampa on the board first, with a goal assisted by Shane Hanlon.
- Bryan Wright then scored the only other goal of the period with 5:23 on the clock. He was assisted by Chris Cox.
- At the end of the first, Tampa led Lynn 2-0.
- Wright scored again for the Spartans giving them a three-point lead.
- With 7:14 on the clock, Wright netted his third goal of the game, this time from Hunter Van Horn.
- Lynn then answered scoring two goals to round out the period.
- Heading into halftime, Tampa was on top 4-2.
- Coming out of halftime, the Fighting Knights were the first team back on the board.
- Then with 12:35 remaining in the period, Luke Curran scored for Tampa.
- Lynn then scored again, Tampa still held the lead by one, 5-4.
- Jake Mosher McGraw then logged a goal for the Spartans, the assist from Wright.
- Andrew Kew then scored back-to-back unassisted goals for UT.
- Heading into the fourth period, Tampa led Lynn 8-4.
- In the first minute of the fourth period, Mosher McGraw stated his second goal of the contest.
- Donavon Dempsey then earned one for UT, assisted by Kew.
- With 12:59 remaining in the game, Lynn netted another goal narrowing Tampa's lead 10-5.
- Hanlon then scored an unassisted goal for the Spartans.
- Michael Lucchesi then netted his first goal of the contest off the assist by Vetter.
- With 1:54 on the clock, the Fighting Knights earned their last point of the game.
- Andrew Kew then earned a hat trick with his third goal of the contest.
- The Spartans defeated the Fighting Knights by a final score of 13-6.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Wright and Kew led the Spartans offensively, both earning hat tricks in the contest. The two also each had one assist.
- Defensively, Luke Posner led the way for UT recording three caused turnovers and six ground balls. Following his efforts was Blaine Birch and Jack Tyrrell who both logged two caused turnovers.
- Ross Dickerson won 11-20 of the faceoffs he took for the Spartans.
- B.J. Borowski recorded five saves in the cage for UT.
The Spartans will travel to St. Leo, Florida where they will compete in the Sunshine State Conference Championships. The semifinal match will be on Thursday, April 26th at 3:00 p.m. against the Florida Tech Panthers. If the Spartans win that contest, they will then go on to the championship game held on Sunday, April 29th at 1:00 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.