ORLANDO, Fla. – The No. 11 University of Tampa Spartans earned their first win of the 2019 season against conference rival, the Florida Southern College Moccasins. The Spartans defeated the Moccasins by a final score of 17-14.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP: Final: No. 11 Tampa Spartans 17, Florida Southern College Moccasins 14
Records: Tampa (1-1), Florida Southern (0-1)
Location: Orlando, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans lead the all-time series over the Moccasins 11-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the first minute of the contest, the Moccasins were the first team to strike, netting the first goal of the game.
- However, the Spartans answered with a goal from Matt Vetter, the assist by Andrew Kew.
- UT then score the next two goals increasing their lead to 3-1. The first came from Harry Kilkowski, the second from Ross Dickerson.
- With 6:57 left in the first period FSC netted their second goal of the game.
- Kilkowski then earned his second goal of the game, followed by another Tampa goal by Luke Curran a minute later.
- With 3:16 left in the period the Mocs scored to narrow the Spartans lead 5-3.
- Jake Mosher McGraw then earned a goal for Tampa off the assist by Kew.
- Florida Southern scored the last goal of the period.
- At the end of the first period, the Spartans led the Moccasins 6-4.
- To start the second period, Kew earned his first goal of the contest.
- With 10:36 left in the half, Shane Hanlon netted a goal for UT.
- FSC answered keeping the Spartans lead to three.
- Tampa then scored the next three and final goals of the half. The first was by Kansai Garey off the assist by Kilkowski. The next two were by senior Andrew Kew.
- At the end of the first half, the No. 11 Spartans lead the Moccasins 11-5.
- Coming out of halftime, the Moccasins were the first team to score with back-to-back goals.
- Kew then scored again with 7:27 left in the period.
- With 5:03 left in the third the Mocs narrowed the Spartans lead to four.
- Tampa scored the next three goals by Kew, Vetter, and Kilkowski respectively.
- Heading into the fourth quarter the Spartans lead the Moccasins 15-8.
- In the fourth period, Garey scored once more for UT.
- FSC then scored twice making the game Tampa 16, Southern 10.
- Kilkowski then scored again, this time off the assist by Jake Levine.
- Florida Southern scored the final four goals of the game.
- The No. 11 UT Spartans defeated the FSC Moccasins by a final score of 17-14.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Andrew Kew had a whopping five goals for the Spartans in addition to earning two assists.
- Freshman, Harry Kilkowski had four goals and one assist.
- Ross Dickerson won 21-28 face-offs he took, in addition to leading the team in ground balls with 9.
- B.J. Borowski suited up as the Spartans primary goalkeeper. He logged 12 saves in the contest.
UP NEXT: The Spartans will travel to Marietta, Georgia, where they will face Lenoir-Rhyne on Saturday, February 23, at 1:00 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS: UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.