MARIETTA, Ga. – The No. 12 University of Tampa Spartans defeated the No. 17 Lenoir-Rhyne Bears by a final score of 16-10. Tampa advances their overall record to 2-1.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 12 Tampa Spartans 16, No. 17 Lenoir-Rhyne Bears 10
Records: Tampa (2-1), Lenoir-Rhyne (0-3)
Location: Pope High School | Marietta, Ga.
All-time Series: The Spartans lead the all-time series over the Bears 4-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the first minute of the contest, the Spartans were the first team to score with a goal from Matt Vetter off the assist by Dom Mazza.
- LR then scored the next two goals before Colin White answered for the Spartans, earning a man-up goal off the pass by Jack Mosher McGraw.
- With 8:59 remaining in the period, Mosher McGraw then netted a goal of his own.
- Lenoir-Rhyne scored the last goal of the first period.
- At the end of the first period, the Spartans led the Bears 4-3.
- To start the second period, LR was on the board first.
- Shortly after, Mosher McGraw then scored his second goal of the day off the assist by Andrew Kew.
- Luke Curran scored for the Spartans with 9:32 left in the half.
- The Bears continued to battle, scoring again and refusing Tampa to earn more than a two-point lead.
- At the 5:11 mark, Dom Mazza scored off the pass by Kew.
- Once again, LR answered.
- The final goal of the half was scored by freshman, Harry Kilkowski off the assist by Ronnie Shul.
- At the end of the first half, the No. 12 Spartans led the No. 17 Bears 8-6.
- Similar to the beginning of the game, the first goal of the second half was scored by Vetter off the assist by Mazza.
- Tampa then scored three more goals in the period. The first was by Kansai Garey off the assist by Kew. The second came from Colin White off the assist by Mosher McGraw. Finally, the last goal of the third was from Kilkowski, this time from White.
- Heading into the fourth quarter the Spartans led the Bears 12-6.
- In the fourth period, LR was the first team to score.
- Shortly after, Vetter scored again, once again from Mazza.
- Luke Curran then netted a goal with 11:21 left to play. The assist came from Kew.
- The last two goals for the Spartans came from Mazza with 9:22 remaining, and from Mosher McGraw with twenty-two seconds remaining in the contest.
- The No. 12 UT Spartans defeated the No. 17 Bears by a final score of 16-10.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Three different Spartans had three goals for Tampa including, Matt Vetter, Jake Mosher McGraw, and Colin White.
- Andrew Kew led the team in assists with five, followed by Mazza with three. Dom Mazza also had two goals of his own.
- Ross Dickerson won 23-28 face-offs he took, in addition to leading the team in ground balls with 15.
- B.J. Borowski suited up as the Spartans primary goalkeeper. He played the entire sixty minutes, logging a total of 19 saves.
UP NEXT: The Spartans host Adelphi University in their home opener, on Wednesday, February 27. The first faceoff will take place at 12:30 p.m. on Naimoli Family Athletic and Intramural Complex.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS: UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.