TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 9 University of Tampa Spartans suffer an 11-10 loss by the Assumption College Greyhounds. The University of Tampa is now 2-3 on the 2019 season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 9 Tampa Spartans 10, Assumption Greyhounds 11
Records: Tampa (2-3), Assumption (2-1)
Location: Naimoli Family Athletic and Intramural Complex | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Greyhounds now lead the all-time series with the Spartans 1-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Four minutes into the game, Assumption was the first team on the board.
- The first Tampa goal was scored by Colin White with 8:02 left in the period.
- Assumption went on to score three more goals.
- At the end of the first period, the Greyhounds led the Spartans 4-1.
- To start the second period, UT was the first team to score with a goal by Jake Mosher McGraw.
- Tampa then scored three unanswered goals to take the lead 5-4. The first came from Dom Mazza off the pass by Jake Levine, the second was an unassisted goal from Matt Vetter, and the third was netted by White off the assist by Chris Cox.
- Assumption tied the game with 2:39 remaining in the half.
- With :58 left in the first half, Harry Kilkowski gave Tampa the 6-5 lead off the pass by Matt Vetter.
- Tampa scored the only two goals of the third period.
- The first goal was an unassisted goal by Kansai Garey.
- Jake Levine then netted a man-up goal off the assist by Vetter.
- Heading into the fourth period the Spartans led the Greyhounds 8-5.
- Assumption started the fourth period with five unanswered goals.
- Then with 8:30 remaining Jake Mosher McGraw earned another goal for the Spartans.
- With 6:47 remaining in the contest, Colin White tied the game off the pass by Matt Vetter.
- The final game-winning goal was scored by Assumption with 2:36 left in the contest.
- The Assumption College Greyhounds upset the No. 9 University of Tampa Spartans by a final score of 11-10.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Colin White tallied three goals to lead Tampa's offense, followed by Matt Vetter who earned one goal and three assists.
- Ross Dickerson won 18-23 faceoffs he took.
- For the first period, B.J. Borowski suited up as the keeper, recording two saves on six shots. For the last 45 minutes of the contest, Bryan Karn stepped in goal, recording seven saves on 14 shots.
UP NEXT: The Spartans will host the North Greenville University Crusaders for a mid-week game on Wednesday, March 6. This game is slated to begin at 7:00 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS: UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.