TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 19 University of Tampa Spartans were defeated by the roar of the No. 12 Lindenwood Lions by a final score of 10-9. The University of Tampa is now 3-4 on the 2019 season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 19 Tampa Spartans 9, No. 12 Lindenwood Lions 10
Records: Tampa (3-4), Lindenwood (6-1)
Location: Hunter Stadium | St. Louis, Mo.
All-time Series: The Lions now lead the all-time series against the Spartans 2-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lindenwood was the first team on the board scoring with 8:23 left in the first period.
- Then with 5:27 left in the first, Hunter Van Horn netted the first goal for UT off the assist by Andrew Kew.
- Kew himself then scored for the Spartans off the pass by Kansai Garey.
- At the end of the first period, the Spartans led the Lions 2-1.
- To start the second period, the Spartans scored back-to-back goals from Kew and Colin White. Kew'sgoal was assisted by Jake Mosher McGraw, while White's was assisted by Matt Vetter.
- With 12:42 left in the half, Lindenwood scored, narrowing the Spartans lead 4-2.
- UT's Bryan Wright then scored his first goal of the 2019 season.
- The firsts continued with Chris Cox netting one of the first time this year increasing Tampa's lead 6-2.
- The Lions then scored the next four goals of the game, tying it at six as the team's heading in for halftime.
- To start the second half, the Spartans switched keepers to senior Bryan Karn.
- Once again, the Lions were the first team on the board scoring a goal to take the lead.
- Lindenwood then scored again with 7:06 remaining in the period.
- Finally, Colin White ended Tampa's scoring drought, bringing the rain with a goal off the assist by Vetter.
- White then scored again with 2:50 left in the period, this was assisted by Chris Cox.
- Cox scored the last goal of the period and Tampa's last goal of the day off the assist by Kew.
- Heading into the fourth period, the Spartans led the Lions 9-8.
- The Lindenwood Lions scored the only two goals of the fourth period. The last one coming with 5:13 left in the contest.
- The No.12 Lions defeated the No. 19 Spartans by a final score of 10-9.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Colin White tallied three goals for the Spartans.
- Chris Cox stated two goals in the game in addition to earning an assist.
- Andrew Kew ended the contest with two goals and two assists.
- Ross Dickerson won 18-22 face-offs form the X.
- B.J. Borowski and Bryan Karn split time in the goal. Borowski recorded six saves while Karn tabbed four.
UP NEXT: The Spartans will return home on Saturday, March 16 for a 12:00 p.m. game against the Westminster Griffins.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS: UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.