TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa Spartans kicked off SSC competition by defeating the Embry-Riddle Eagles by a final score of 25-8. The University of Tampa is now 6-4 on the 2019 season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: UT Spartans 25, ERAU Eagles 8
Records: Tampa (6-4, SSC 1-0), Embry-Riddle (8-4, SSC 0-2)
Location: Naimoli Family Athletic and Intramural Complex | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans lead the Eagles in the all-time series 2-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the first period, the Spartans completely shut out the Eagles, 6-0.
- The first two goals of the contest came from senior Andrew Kew. Kew's second goal was assisted by Chris Cox.
- Matt Vetter netted one with 8:58 left in the period, giving the Spartans the 3-0 lead.
- Cox then netted a goal of his own, the assist by Kew.
- Kansai Garey scored Tampa's fifth goal of the contest off the assist by Shane Hanlon.
- The last goal of the period was by the freshman Harry Kilkowski off the assist by Kew.
- Once again the Spartans completely dominated the period, scoring a total of seven goals to Embry-Riddle's one.
- The first goal of the second period was scored by sophomore Colin White, off the assist by Cox.
- Ronnie Shul then netted a goal with 8:33 left in the half off the pass by Kew.
- Kew then netted his third goal of the contest off the assist by Casey Platenik.
- Senior, Hunter Van Horn netted an unassisted goal with 7:26 left in the half.
- The Spartans last three goals of the half were scored by Kew, Bryan Wright, and Jack Baldwin respectively. Kew was assisted by Kilkowski and Wrigh tby Vetter.
- With :53 seconds left in the half, the ERAU Eagles scored their first goal of the contest.
- Heading into halftime, Tampa led Embry-Riddle 13-1.
- To start the second half, the Eagles were the first team on the board.
- Tampa then scored five goals before Embry-Riddle answered with three.
- UT's first goal was scored by White off the assist by Kansai Garey.
- Luke Curran earned the Spartans 15thgoal.
- Kew netted his fifth of the day off the pass by Even Killen.
- The last two goals of the said five, were unassisted goals by Nicholas Ioannou and Dylan Carter.
- After the Eagles scored their three goals, UT's final two goals were netted by Austin Schepers and Ioannou.
- At the end of the third period, the Spartans led the Eagles 20-5.
- ERAU scored the first two goals of the fourth period.
- Tampa then earned three unassisted goals by Daniel Barrow, Spencer Eysaman, and Jack Baldwin respectively.
- The Eagles final goal of the day was scored with 2:49 left in the contest.
- In the last minute of competition, Owen Matukas scored for Tampa off the assist by Max Lambert. Additionally, Kevin McParlane logged a goal off the assist by Christopher Ciesla.
- The University of Tampa Spartans defeated the Embry-Riddle Eagles by a final score of 25-8.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Andrew Kew once again led the Spartans impressive offensive performance. Kew tallied five goals and three assists in the contest.
- Following Kew's offensive efforts was that of Colin White, Jack Baldwin, and Nicholas Ioannou each with two.
- Chris Cox had two assists in the contest.
- The Spartans used three different faceoff specialists. Devon Hess went 6-10, Ross Dickerson won 8-9, and Joe Caputo stated 11-17.
- All four of Tampa's goalkeepers saw the field today. However, only Bryan Karnand Alexander Starr recorded 2 and 1 saves respectively.
UP NEXT: The Spartans will host the Florida Tech Panthers on Wednesday, March 27that 7:30 p.m. The game will take place at Pepin Stadium.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS: UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.