OLD WESTBURY, N.Y. – The University of Tampa Spartans defeated the New York Institute of Technology Bears by a final score of 16-12. The University of Tampa is now 8-4 on the 2019 season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: UT Spartans 16, NYIT Bears 12
Records: Tampa (8-4, SSC 2-0), NYIT (2-8, ECAC 1-2)
Location: President's Stadium | Old Westbury, N.Y.
All-time Series: The Spartans now lead the Bears in the all-time series 3-2.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first goal of the game was scored by the NYIT Bears.
- Bryan Wright answered with a goal for the Spartans from Matt Vetter.
- The Bears scored again with 9:48 left in the first.
- UT then earned back-to-back goals. The first came from Andrew Kew, the second came from Vetter.
- The last goal of the first period was scored by the Bears.
- At the end of the first period, the Spartans and Bears were tied at 3.
- The Spartans scored five unanswered goals in this period.
- The first goal was by Kew off the assist by Luke Curran.
- Colin White then netted one off the pass from Vetter.
- Shane Hanlon then scored an unassisted goal.
- The last two goals of the half were scored by Jake Mosher McGraw and Bryan Wright respectively. Both goals were assisted by Chris Cox.
- Heading into halftime, the Spartans led the Bears 8-3.
- NYIT scored the first period of the second half.
- The Spartans then earned back-to-back goals by Cox and Dom Mazza.
- With 9:57 left in the period the Bears scored their fifth goal.
- Jake Mosher McGraw then netted his second for UT.
- The Bears then netted four unanswered goals, before Mosher McGraw scored again ending the Spartans silence.
- The last two goals of the period were scored by NYIT.
- At the end of the third period, the Spartans led the Bears 12-11.
- The Spartans scored the first three goals of the fourth period.
- The first was scored by Bryan Wright, followed by back to back goals by Colin White.
- White's goals were assisted by Vetter and Cox respectively.
- NYIT scored their 12thand final goal with 3:53 remaining.
- Bryan Wrights cored the final goal of the contest with 1:35 left to play.
- The University of Tampa Spartans defeated the New York Institute of Technology Bears by a final score of 16-12.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Bryan Wright had a team-high of four goals, followed by Jake Mosher McGraw and Colin White each with three.
- Chris Cox and Matt Vetter each had a team-high of three assists for the Spartans.
- Ross Dickerson won 21-31 face-offs for UT. Additionally, he recorded 14 groundballs for UT.
- B.J. Borowski played the entire 60 minutes for the Spartans. The sophomore recorded 8 saves in the contest.
UP NEXT: This Spartans will travel to Lakeland, Florida on Wednesday, April 3rdto take on conference foe, Florida Southern College. The game against the Moccasins is slated to begin at 7:00 p.m. at the Barnett Athletic Complex.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS: UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.