LAKELAND, Fla. – The University of Tampa Spartans defeated the Florida Southern College Moccasins by a final score of 17-11. The University of Tampa is now 9-4 on the 2019 season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: UT Spartans 17, FSC Moccasins 11
Records: Tampa (9-4, SSC 3-0), FSC (7-5, SSC 2-1)
Location: Barnett Athletic Complex | Lakeland, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans now lead the Moccasins in the all-time series 12-1.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Tampa scored the first three goals of the game giving the Spartans a 3-0 lead. The goals were all unassisted and were scored by Matt Vetter, Jake Mosher McGraw, and Andrew Kew respectively.
- Florida Southern answered with two goals back-to-back.
- Mosher McGraw then netted his second goal off the assist by Vetter.
- The Spartans last goal of the first period was scored by Kew with 1:37 left on the clock.
- FSC netted one more goal before the end of the period.
- Heading into the second, the Spartans led the Moccasins 5-3.
- Florida Southern scored the first goal of the second period.
- Kew then sunk his third and fourth goal of the contest from Chris Cox and Bryan Wright respectively.
- With 7:54 left in the half, Kew scored a man-up goal off the pass from Wright.
- Fourteen seconds later, UT's Dylan Carter scored off the assist by Harry Kilkowski.
- The Moccasins scored with 7:19 left in the half to cut the Spartans lead to 9-5.
- UT scored the last three goals of the half from Luke Curran, Kansai Garey, and Colin White respectively.
- Heading into halftime, the Spartans led the Moccasins 12-5.
- FSC netted the first goal of the second half.
- UT answered with a goal from White with the assist by Kew.
- Southern scored three more goals in this period.
- Tampa's last goal of the third came from White again, this time the assist by Cox.
- At the end of the third period, the Spartans led the Moccasins 14-9.
- A minute into the fourth period, Bryan Wright scored Tampa's 15thgoal of the contest.
- Florida Southern answered with two.
- The last two goals of the contest were scored by the Spartans. They came from Wright and Garey.
- The University of Tampa Spartans defeated the Florida Southern College Moccasins by a final score of 17-11.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Andrew Kew led the Spartans offense with a whopping five goals and one assist. Additionally, he picked up one ground ball for the Spartans.
- Following Kew's efforts was that of Bryan Wright who ended the night with two goals and two assists, and Colin White who earned three goals.
- Defensively, Ronnie Shul and Luke Robideaux led the Spartans each with two caused turnovers. Shul recorded three ground balls, while Robideaux picked up two.
- Ross Dickerson won 24-30 face-offs for UT. Additionally, he recorded 13 groundballs for Tampa.
- B.J. Borowski played the first 45 minutes for the Spartans. The sophomore recorded 3 saves in the contest before Anthoney Caruso came in for the final period. Caruso recorded four saves.
UP NEXT: Saturday, the Spartans will travel to St. Leo, Florida to take on the Saint Leo Lions. The game is slated to begin at 1:00 p.m. at the University Turf Stadium.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS: UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.