TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 16 University of Tampa Spartans were defeated by the Lynn University Fighting Knights by a final score of 11-10. This was Tampa's first conference loss of the season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: UT Spartans 10, LU Fighting Knights 11
Records: Tampa (11-5, SSC 5-1), Lynn (10-3, SSC 5-1)
Location: Naimoli Family Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: This marked the first time in program history that the Spartans have lost to the Knights. Tampa leads the all-time series with Lynn 6-1.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior Matt Vetter put the Spartans on the board first, logging a goal with 9:33 left in the quarter.
- Lynn answered tying the game at one.
- UT then netted back-to-back goals by Bryan Wright and Andrew Kew respectively.
- Lynn then scored their second goal with 5:55 left in the first.
- Kew then scored two more unassisted goals for the Spartans.
- Lynn University scored the last four goals of the first period.
- Heading into the second period the Spartans were trailing the Knights 6-5.
- Lynn was the first team to score in the second.
- With 10:49 left in the half, Vetter netted his second goal of the game off the assist by Colin White.
- Lynn scored once more in the half.
- White netted the last goal of the half off the pass from Vetter.
- Heading into halftime, the Fighting Knights led the Spartans 8-7.
- Lynn scored one goal in the third period.
- Tampa's also only scored one goal in the period, by White.
- At the end of the third period, Lynn held the lead over Tampa 9-8.
- Once again Lynn was the first team to score starting the new period.
- Jake Mosher McGraw then scored back-to-back goals to tie the game at 10. His first goal was assisted by Chris Cox, his second by Vetter.
- With :11 seconds left on the clock, Lynn scored its 11thgoal to win the game.
- The No. 16 University of Tampa Spartans were defeated by the Lynn University Fighting Knights by a final score of 11-10.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Andrew Kewled the Spartans in goals with three.
- Matt Vetter, Jake Mosher McGraw, and Colin White all had two goals.
- Vetter led the team in assists with two.
- Defensively, Julian Bombart had one caused turnover and two groundballs.
- Ross Dickerson went 17-25 off the faceoff X. He led the team in ground balls with 13.
- Bryan Karn played the entire 60 minutes defending the goal. He faced 19 shots and recorded eight saves.
UP NEXT: The Spartans will travel to West Palm Beach, Florida for their final regular season conference game of the season against the PBA Sailfish. This game will take place, Saturday, April 20that 1:00 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS: UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.