WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – The University of Tampa Spartans defeated the Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish 21-10 in their final regular season game of the 2019 season. Andrew Kew scored five goals in the contest, becoming the all-time Division II goal leader now with a career total of 248. Kew breaks this record set in the years 1998-01 by Andrew Wasik from Pace University. The Spartans end the regular season with an overall record of 12-5 and an SSC record of 6-1.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: UT Spartans 21, PBA Sailfish 10
Records: Tampa (12-5, SSC 6-1), Palm Beach Atlantic (6-10, SSC 1-6)
Location: PBA Soccer and Lacrosse Field | West Palm Beach, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series with Palm Beach Atlantic 2-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- To start the game PBA was the first team on the board with a goal one minute into the game.
- Andrew Kew then netted back-to-back goals for the Spartans before Matt Vetter downed one with 11:23 left in the first.
- Luke Curran the scored Tampa's fourth goal of the assist by Jake Mosher McGraw.
- Mosher McGraw himself then scored off the pass by Kew.
- The Spartans final goal of the period was netted by Bryan Wright with 4:39 remaining in the period.
- Heading into the second period the Spartans led the Sailfish 6-1.
- Once again, PBA scored first earning three goals to start the second period.
- Colin White then earned his first goal of the contest off the assist by Chris Cox.
- A minute later, Wright earned his second goal of the game.
- PBA answered scoring with 5:47 left in the half.
- Mosher McGraw then scored again for UT, this time from Vetter.
- The Sailfish scored twice more beforeVetternetted the final goal of the half off the assist by Kew.
- Heading into halftime, the Fighting Knights led the Spartans 8-7.
- Tampa scored the only four goals of the third period.
- The first was netted by Kew from Mosher McGraw.
- Curran then logged his second goal of the day followed by another goal from Kew.
- The final goal of the period was scored by Vetter off the assist by Cox.
- At the end of the third period, Tampa held the lead over Palm Beach Atlantic 14-7.
- The PBA Sailfish scored the first two goals of the final period.
- Kew then recorded his fifth and final goal of the contest with 12:22 remaining.
- Vetter scored with 11:46 on the clock before assisting White in his second goal.
- Kansai Garey then earned a goal for UT with 9:28 on the clock.
- PBA scored their 10thand final goal of the contest with 6:21 remaining.
- Freshman Harry Kilkowski then tallied back-to-back goals for UT, before Christopher Ciesla netted the final goal for UT.
- The University of Tampa Spartans defeated the Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish by a final score of 21-10.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Andrew Kew had an outstanding five goals and two assists for UT, followed by Matt Vetter with four goals and two assists.
- Now with 248 career goals in his storied career at UT, Kew becomes the all-time Division II leading goal scorer. A record that has not been broken since the years 1998-2001.
- Ross Dickerson went 24-29 off the faceoff X. He led the team in ground balls with 13.
- Bryan Karn, BJ Borowski and Anthony Caruso all logged time at the keeper position. Karn faced 11 shots and recorded four save on the day.
UP NEXT: The Spartans will compete in the Sunshine State Conference tournament. The semifinals will take place on Thursday with the tournament concluding with the championship game on Sunday, April 28th.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS: UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.