TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 19 University of Tampa Spartans defeated the Rollins College Tars by a final score of 16-11 in the Sunshine State Conference semifinals. The Spartans will advance to the Sunshine State Conference Championship game for the sixth consecutive time in program history. The Championship will be hosted by the Spartans on Sunday, April 28th. With the win, Tampa advances their overall record to 13-5.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: UT Spartans 16, RC Tars 11
Records: Tampa (13-5), Rollins College (10-5)
Location: Naimoli Family Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans have never lost to the Tars. Tampa leads the all-time record with Rollins 11-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Tampa scored the first two goals of the contest with an unassisted goal by Luke Curran, followed by a goal from Colin White off the assist by Dylan Carter.
- The Rollins College Tars then scored four straight goals to end the first period.
- Heading into the second period the Tars led the Spartans 4-2.
- The Tars scored another goal to start the second period.
- With 5:52 remaining in the half, White scored his second of the contest off the assist by Chris Cox.
- The Tars then took the 6-3 lead with 5:02 remaining in the half.
- Tampa then netted two more goals.
- The first was by Bryan Wright, once again Coxlogged the assist.
- The last goal of the half was netted by White with four seconds remaining. White netted this goal off the assist by Matt Vetter.
- Heading into halftime, the Tars led the Spartans 6-5.
- Rollins scored the first goal of the third period.
- With 12:05 on the clock SSC Player of the Year, Andrew Kew, netted his first of the contest.
- Cox then netted back-to-back goals both off the pass by Kew.
- Tampa then scored four more goals. The goals were all unassisted by Vetter, Kew, Curran, and Wright respectively.
- At the end of the third period, Tampa took the lead over Rollins 12-7.
- A minute into the fourth period, Jake Mosher McGraw scored off the assist by Vetter.
- Kewthen netted his third and final goal of the contest off the pass by All-SSC freshman selection, Harry Kilkowski.
- The Rollins College Tars then netted a man-up goal giving them their eighth point.
- With 9:38 remaining, Wright scored again for UT off the pass by Vetter.
- Less than a minute later, Kew assisted Curran giving Tampa the 16-8 lead.
- The Rollins Tars then scored the last three goals of the contest.
- The No. 19 University of Tampa Spartans defeated the Rollins College Tars by a final score of 16-11.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Andrew Kew had an outstanding three goals and three assists for UT, followed by Bryan Wright , Luke Curran, and Colin White each with three goals.
- Chris Cox also played extremely well for UT. Cox had two goals and two assists.
- Defensively, Nicholas Perrot and Jack Tyrrell each earned two caused turnovers.
- Ross Dickerson went 19-26 off the faceoff X. He led the team in ground balls with 11.
- Bryan Karn logged 58:35 at the keeper position. Karn faced 21 shots and recorded 11 saves on the day.
UP NEXT: The Spartans will compete in their sixth consecutive Sunshine State Conference Championship game. The game will be hosted by UT on Sunday, April 28th.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS: UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.