GAFFNEY, S.C.. – The No. 14 University of Tampa Spartans fell short in a double-overtime decision against No. 1 and undefeated Limestone College on Saturday in the NCAA Division II Men's Lacrosse Tournament Quarterfinals.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 1 Limestone Saints 12, No. 14 Tampa Spartans 11 (Double Overtime)
Records: Tampa (15-6), Limestone (19-0)
Location: Saints Field | Gaffney, S.C.
All-time Series: Limestone now owns a 10-1 advantage in the all-time series.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Following an opening goal by the Saints, UT rattled off five straight goals to lead 5-1.
- Andrew Kew recorded the first goal of the afternoon for Tampa.
- Kew would assist the following goal, which was the first of two straight scores for Jake Mosher McGraw.
- Matt Vetter and Bryan Wright added a pair of unassisted goals.
- After a Limestone goal, Kew made it 6-2 with the final goal of the first period.
- Limestone scored the first two goals of the quarter before Mosher McGraw answered with a pair of goals to make it 8-4.
- The teams traded goals before the break with Wright scoring for the Spartans with 14 seconds to play before the half, giving Tampa a 9-5 lead.
- The Saints outscored the Spartans 3-1 in the third quarter, scoring the first three.
- Mosher McGraw made it 10-8 in favor of Tampa when he scored the Spartans first goal of the period at the 7:30 mark.
- It took nearly seven minutes in the fourth quarter for a goal as the Saints scored at 7:21 and 6:04 to draw even at 10-10.
- Mosher McGraw helped regain the UT lead at 2:52 with a goal.
- Limestone had a goal with 16 seconds remaining to tie the contest at 11-11 and force extra time.
- Tampa had its chances in the four minutes of the first overtime, outshooting the Saints 4-2.
- The Spartans had a pair of shots in the final seconds of the half, included a shot on target by Wright that was saved at the buzzer.
- Wright's shot was the lone shot on goal in the first overtime.
- Limestone scored on the only shot of the period, with the Saints, netting the game-winner at the 3:16 mark.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Mosher McGraw tallied six goals, which marked a new career high for the junior from Canada. He also finished with 15 shots, including 10 on goal.
- Kew and Wright also added a pair of goals apiece.
- Wright, Nicholas Perrot and Sam Collingwood each led the team with two caused turnovers.
- Ross Dickerson went 18-for-26 from the faceoff X, also finishing with 12 ground balls.
- Bryan Karn faced 21 shots in the goal and came away with nine saves.
- UT outshot the Saints 48-35 on the day.
- There was a brief weather delay with 6:04 remaining in regulation due to a tornado warning.
- Kew concludes his Spartan career as arguably the most decorated player in program history. The Oakville, Ontario native is the all-time leader in goals (259, also an NCAA record), game-winning goals (17), shots (629) and shots on goal (415). He also set the NCAA single-season goal record with 86 in 2017.
UP NEXT: Please visit TampaSpartans.com for complete information on Tampa men's lacrosse.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS: UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.