TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa fought back against the University of South Florida but ultimately fell 3-1 to the cross-town rival in the 2018 Rowdies Cup.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: USF 3, UT 1
Location: Pepin Stadium || Tampa, Fla.
All-time series: USF 21-9-3
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1st: USF kicked off the scoring in the 23rd minute as Stephen Rudderham ripped a shot from just inside the box. His goal came from the right side of the box and Jake Richards was able to get a hand on the ball, however it trickled off the post and into the net.
2nd: Less than a minute into the second half, Rudderham put another one past Richards on a laser from just inside the 18 yard box. In the 59th minute, Juancho Fernandez scored on a wonderful strike across the keeper's face into the left corner of the netting. The Bulls were able to extend the lead to 3-1 following a penalty kick on a foul by Joey Bajza. USF gave the opportunity to Rudderham who capped off his hat trick.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- UT goalkeeper Richards made four saves on seven shots on goal.
- Fernandez led the team with four shots, one on net which represented the Spartans goal.
- Eight starters for UT played the full 90 minutes following Thursday's suspended match.
- UT held a 5-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- Both USF assists came via Tomasz Skublak.
UP NEXT: The Spartans will begin the regular season against West Florida on Friday, August 31 at Pepin Stadium, kickoff at 7 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.