TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa men's soccer team opened up the season at home with a four-goal outburst against Flager College.
Final: Tampa 4, Flagler 2
Records: Tampa Spartans (1-1), Flagler College Saints (0-2)
Location: Pepin Stadium || Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa owns a commanding 13-3-1 lead in the all-time series. In the series dating back to 1976, the teams will meet for the first time since the 2011 season. Flagler won the previous two meetings over the Spartans. Tampa is 11-1 at home against Flagler.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1st Half | The match began at a rapid pace as both teams were in attacking formation. In the 6th minute, after a back-and-forth exchange, Julius Becker led Rojay Smith into the 18-yard box. Smith, a senior from Jamaica, slipped in his first goal of the year with a one-touch past the keeper. Flagler's goalkeeper Andrea Lubbia was able to put a hand on it but the shot was too strong from Smith. In the 39th minute, Luca Abreu used his back-heel to push one past the keeper, however the goal was nullified because of offsides. In the following moments, Abreu was on the end of a cross from Smith and logged the first goal of his career. || UT 2, FC 0
- Rojay Smith tied his career-high with four points in the match, a goal and two assists. Smith previously logged four points in the final game of 2018 against Saint Leo.
- Jake Richards recorded five of his seven saves in the first half.
- In a physical matchup, the two teams combined for 29 fouls and five yellow cards.
- Eight different Spartans ripped off a shot as Omar Thali led the team with four total shots.
- In 2018, the Spartans did not secure a win until the eighth game of the year. This was the second match of the season for UT.