TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa men's and women's swimming teams were back in action, meeting a pair of ranked Sunshine State Conference opponents for the third-straight contest. Both Spartan teams defeated Saint Leo University in dominant fashion.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Men's Final: No. 12 Tampa Spartans 94, No. 8 Saint Leo Lions 53
Women's Final: No. 5 Tampa Spartans 126, No. 22 Saint Leo Lions 39
Location: UT Aquatics Center | Tampa, Fla.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The meet totaled 24 events.
- Tampa's women took first in eight races.
- The Spartan men took 11 first-place finishes.
TOP PERFORMERS (MEN):
- Cameron Newton won the 200 Free in 1:42.86. UT would take the top three spots in the race as Jared Fitzgerald and Forrest Lundy would follow.
- Zane Richardson claimed the Mixed 200 Free in 1:43.95.
- Taking a pair of races was Brett Saunders in the 200 IM (1:51.51) and the 200 Back (1:49.21).
- Grant Ruster won a pair of races, including the Mixed 200 IM in 1:54.79 and the Mixed 100 Breast in 59.31.
- UT won the 200 Free Relay in 1:25.35. The Spartan quartet included Yannick Smith, Marvin Slanschek, Newton and Fitzgerald.
- Marcos Hillje-Enthoven took the Mixed 1,650 Free with a time of 16:25.98.
- Andre Richardson won the 100 Fly in 51.06.
- George Jabbour was the first to finish the Mixed 100 Fly, doing so in 53.00.
- Andreas Johnsen claimed first in the Mixed 200 Back in 1:56.18.
TOP PERFORMERS (WOMEN):
- Tampa began the meet with a first in the 200 Medley Relay as it finished in 1:45.22. Hana van Loock, Elizaveta Bazarova, Anja Oca and Megan Waddell made up the Spartan team.
- Jessie Tobin won the 1,650 Free in 17:19.68.
- van Loock was the fastest in the 200 Free at 1:51.93.
- Courtney Sherwood won the 200 IM in 2:07.57. Cat Sterlacci and McKenzie Street made it a clean sweep for the Spartans in the race.
- The Spartans took the 200 Free Relay with a time of 1:35.34. UT's group included Waddell, Maureen Moore, Bazarova and Molly O'Hara.
- Sterlacci took first-place in the 100 Fly with a time of 57.26.
- Bazarova won the 100 Breast in 1:04.03
- The 400 Free Relay went to UT as it posted a time of 3:28.40. van Loock, Moore, Sterlacci and Waddell were each part of the winning team.
Tampa will face Saint Leo University again on Sunday at 11 a.m. Video will be available through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.