TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa softball team resumed their conference schedule with a crucial three-game series against the Lynn University Fighting Knights. Both teams took the field on Friday night for the opening game and the Spartans came away with a close 1-0 victory to extend the win streak to a season-high five games.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 1 (W: Makaleigh Dooley 13-7), Lynn 0 (L: Olexa 5-3)
Records: Spartans (15-9, 6-4 SSC), Fighting Knights (15-11, 5-5 SSC)
Location: Naimoli Family Stadium | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series against Lynn 47-20.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Bott. 1st: The Spartans took no time in getting on the board. With one out on the board, Cristina Clauberg doubled to left-center field and advanced to third on the next batter. Bailey Phillips stepped up to the plate and hit an infield single that bounced over the pitcher's head that allowed Clauberg to score for the lead.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Dooley's two hits given up were to fellow pitcher Francais Olexa but the home pitcher managed to strand Olexa at second on both occasions.
- Phillips finished the game 2 for 3 at the plate with one double and the game-winning RBI.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- With an infield single in the second inning, Proffitt extended her hit streak to eight games.
- The Spartans have drawn at least one walk in five straight games.
- Lynn had scored in their previous 10 games prior to tonight.
The teams will wrap up their three-game series tomorrow afternoon with a doubleheader. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.