BOCA RATON, Fla. – The University of Tampa softball team secured their fifth straight victory in the series opener against Lynn University.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 4, Lynn University 1
Records: University of Tampa Spartans (15-9, 7-6 SSC), Lynn University Fighting Knights (14-18, 4-6 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field || Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: The Spartans lead 51-11; In the last 10 games, UT is 8-2 against the Fighting Knights.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube. Additionally, @Tampa_Softball on Twitter, and Instagram for social media content and scoring updates.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
TOP 2nd: To lead off the inning, Lexie Chevalier reached base on an error and moved to second base after Bailey Phillips walked. Maddie Farrell laced a two-RBI single to left-center field to take an early lead.
BOT 2nd: After a strikeout to begin the inning, Lynn's Elizabeth Diaz lasered a solo shot to dead center field. It was the first home run of the season for Diaz, the senior has totaled 11 homers in her career.
TOP 6th: The Spartans offense came alive in the sixth inning, as Corynn Miner and Sam Worrell connected on back-to-back doubles to give UT a two-run lead. Tampa followed up with three consecutive singles from Chevalier, Worrell and Farrell.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Dooley made her 15th start of the season, and she tossed her 13th complete game of the year. The senior allowed two hits, struck out five batters and forced 15 fly-outs compared to one groundout.
- Farrell went 2-3, with three RBI; she has logged three RBI in each of the last two games.
- Worrell laced an RBI double, which extended her team-lead in both categories. The senior from USF has registered five doubles and 16 RBI in 24 games.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Spartans' are currently riding a five-game winning streak, including two mercy-rule victories.
- Tampa has won the last 16 of 17 games at the Lynn Softball Field.
UP NEXT: The University of Tampa will complete the weekend series against Lynn University on Saturday afternoon as first pitch is set to begin at 12 p.m.
Text Alerts: UT also offers a free text messaging service that sends text alerts following all Spartan events. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.
Front Row: Download the official app of UT Athletics on the Apple or Android store. Look for Tampa Spartans Front Row app to receive notifications from your favorite Spartan teams. The app is completely free.