DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – The University of Tampa softball team swept Embry-Riddle in Daytona Beach, extending their win streak to 15 straight games.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 4 (W: Makaleigh Dooley, 19-5), Embry-Riddle 1 (L: Jayla Jackson, 8-6)
Records: University of Tampa Spartans (25-9, 15-6 SSC), Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (16-16, 8-10 SSC)
Location: Embry-Riddle Softball Stadium || Daytona Beach, Fla.
All-Time Series: UT leads the series, 11-3; The Spartans have won the last five games in Daytona Beach.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube. Additionally, @Tampa_Softball on Twitter, and Instagram for social media content and scoring updates.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
TOP 6th: To lead off the inning, Maddie Farrell singled through the left side and was pinch-ran for by Breanna Taphouse. On an attempted sacrifice bunt from Dooley, Taphouse was thrown out at second base. Emalee Jansen reached base on a bunt single, due to the fact no defenders covered first. With two runners on and two outs, Stephanie Balmer logged her second base hit of the afternoon with an RBI single laced through the middle. The Spartans scored two more runs on an error by the Embry-Riddle third basemen, as Lexie Chevalier skyed a mile-high pop up in the infield, however, ERAU dropped the "can-of-corn" and Jansen scored from second on the defensive mistake.
BOT 6th: Embry-Riddle responded with a run of their own via a single from Savannah Brockenbrough and an RBI double from Katy Thompson.
TOP 7th: Sam Worrell singled down the left field line and scored on an RBI double from Dooley. It was Dooley's second double of the afternoon, a career-high for the senior.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Dooley went the distance for the 18th time in 22 starts; the right-hander struck out four Eagles and did not allow a walk in seven innings of work.
- Offensively, Dooley went 2-for-4, with a career-high two doubles along with an RBI.
- Farrell has hit safely in five straight games, including at least one base-knock in 13 of the last 16 games.
- Balmer, a freshman shortstop, has registered a hit in seven of the last eight games including a current four-game hit streak.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Spartans extend their winning streak to 15 games, the longest winning streak since 2012 when UT won 18 straight games.
- Tampa worked 17 walks in the series and logged at least eight hits in each game.
- In the three game series, the Spartans racked up 10 extra-base hits (eight doubles, one triple, one HR).
UP NEXT: The University of Tampa will take the field next weekend against Barry University, with a Friday night 6 p.m. first pitch, followed up by Senior Day festivities on Saturday afternoon.
Text Alerts: UT also offers a free text messaging service that sends text alerts following all Spartan events. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.
Front Row: Download the official app of UT Athletics on the Apple or Android store. Look for Tampa Spartans Front Row app to receive notifications from your favorite Spartan teams. The app is completely free.