TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa women's basketball team defeated Palm Beach Atlantic to pick up their first win in Sunshine State Conference play this season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 65, Palm Beach Atlantic 50
Records: Spartans (5-2, 1-1 SSC), Sailfish (3-4, 0-3 SSC)
Location: Bob Martinez Center | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa snapped a two-game losing streak to Palm Beach Atlantic, improving to 19-3 in the all-time series.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1st Quarter | Palm Beach Atlantic scored first on a free throw by Hannah Grim, but Tampa responded 25 seconds later with a two-point jumper by Karma Jeremie. The Spartans went on to score seven unanswered points after that shot en route to building a six-point lead at the end of the quarter, 12-6. UT was led by Elena de Alfredo, who contributed five points.
2nd Quarter | Faith Sanders was the first to score, one of two layups by Tampa in the first minute of play. The Sailfish only managed to narrow the gap to seven points, on three occasions, as the Spartans more than doubled their lead from the first quarter to 13 points, 33-20. Jeremie led the team with six points, making all three of her shots while also adding an assist and a block. Both de Alfredo and Morgan Lumb contributed five points with each making one from three.
3rd Quarter | Palm Beach Atlantic scored six of the first eight points in the quarter, all on layups, but once again only narrowed the gap to seven points, on one occasion. The Spartans and Sailfish each made six shots in the third quarter, but Tampa made two from three and added two extra free throws to extend their lead to 17 points, 51-34. Lumb led UT with six points, making both of her shots. De Alfredo and Jeremie followed close behind with five and four points, respectively.
4th Quarter | The Sailfish opened and closed out the scoring in the fourth quarter on layups, outscoring the Spartans in the final quarter, 16-14. Tampa managed to hold at least a 12-point lead throughout. de Alfredo finished off a season-best performance by contributing seven points and an assist.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Palm Beach Atlantic only led for 25 seconds in the game while Tampa led for 37 minutes and 53 seconds.
- The Spartans shot 50 percent from the field compared to 34 percent by the Sailfish.
- de Alfredo led UT with 22 points, eight field goals made and four three-point field goals made. Jeremie was second with 16 points and was 6-for-9 from the field.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Tampa has won four games in a row after dropping two-of-three to begin the season.
- de Alfredo finished with a new season-high in points (22), tied her season-high in three-point shots made (four) and tied her career-high with eight total successful shots. It was her seventh straight game to start the season with at least five shots made and 10 points scored.
- Jeremie posted her second double-double, remaining as the only Spartan to do so this season. She also set a new career-high with 12 rebounds, finishing one point shy of her career-high of 17.
UT will host Embry-Riddle Saturday, December 3 at 2:00 p.m. Live stats and a live video webcast will be provided through www.tampaspartans.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AN EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.