TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa women's basketball team defeated Albany State University, 89-52.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 89, Albany State 52
Records: Spartans (7-3), Golden Rams (1-9)
Location: Bob Martinez Center | Tampa, Fla
All-time Series: Tampa improves to 3-0 in the all-time series against Albany State.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1st Quarter | Albany State scored first on a two-point field goal by Ashley Thompson, but Tampa went on a 15-0 run over the next 4:52 to gain a commanding lead. The Golden Rams also went without a field goal for 6:36 after the opening score. Tampa finished the quarter up 24-7, led by Faith Sanders, who contributed nine points and tied for the team lead with three rebounds.
2nd Quarter | The Golden Rams again got on the board first on a two-point field goal, this time by Elesha Foster. The Spartans continued to dominate the field, tacking on another 22 points to stretch their lead to 31 points, to 46-15 at halftime. Elena de Alfredo led Tampa with 12 points and three rebounds, contributing five of the team's nine field goals.
3rd Quarter | Albany State doubled their point total from the first half, but Tampa increased their lead by four more points, ending the third quarter on top by 35 points, at 65-30. Rachel Warden led the Spartans with six points, with Karma Jeremie (five) close behind.
4th Quarter | The Golden Rams scored a game-best 22 points in the quarter, but the Spartans once again managed to extend their lead, this time by two points, to 89-52. Sanders and Teresa Kucera tied for the team lead with six points while Emma Karamovic contributed five. Kucera also led UT with five rebounds.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- The Spartans shot 59 percent (35-for-59) from the field and 48 percent (14-for-29) from three, compared to 34 percent (20-for-59) from the field and 14 percent (3-for-21) from beyond the arc by the Golden Rams.
- Tampa outrebounded Albany State, 41-27.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Tampa finished with 89 points, their most since scoring 94 in a win vs. Warner Southern on November 28, 2009.
- UT also finished with new season-bests in field goal percentage (59.3), field goals made (35), three-point field goals made (14), rebounds (41) and assists (29).
- Sanders led with 20 points and nine field goals, a new career-high and the most by a Spartan this season.
UT will return to action in conference play, facing Florida Southern in Lakeland on Friday, December 30th at 5:30 p.m. Live stats and a live video webcast will be provided through www.tampaspartans.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AN EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.