TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa women's basketball team fell to Sunshine State Conference opponent Rollins College on Saturday.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Rollins 65, Tampa 63
Records: Spartans (15-9, 10-6 SSC), Mocs (19-6, 13-4 SSC)
Location: Martinez Center | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa trails the all-time series with the Tars with a 40-55 mark. The teams split the regular season series in 2016-17.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1st Quarter | The first quarter mirrored the entire game as it was a back-andf-forth affair that ended with a 19-19 tie. Rollins shot 52 percent in the quarter as UT was 58.3 percent.
2nd Quarter | The Tars took a 38-33 lead to the break as they grabbed six offensive rebounds in the quarter. The Spartans were also 0-5 from 3-point range.
3rd Quarter | Tampa held the Tars to just nine points in the quarter, scoring 15 themselves to take a 48-47 lead to the fourth quarter. The UT defense held Rollins to a 25 percent clip in the quarter as the Spartans were a perfect 4-4 from the free throw line.
4th Quarter | Rollins would shoot 60 percent in the fourth quarter, and also gmake 6-7 free throws as UT did not attempt a free throw. The Spartans also had three turnovers in the final quarter while Rollins did not give up the ball. Tampa had the ball for the final possession with a chance to force overtime, thanks to a 3-pointer and layup in previous possessions, but the final shot did not fall.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Karma Jeremie led all Spartans with 24 points. Jeremie also pulled down 10 rebounds. She would also register three steals.
- Elena de Alfredo added 18 points and a team-high four assists.
- Jenny Horvatinovic made it three Spartans in double figiures as she tallied 12.
- Faith Sanders joined de Alfredo as the Spartans who played all 40 minutes.
- Morgan Lumb also started for the Spartans.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Jeremie tallied her fifth double-double of the season.
- At 10-6 in SSC play, Tampa sits in fifth place with two games to play. Tampa can rise in the standings as they travel to Florida Tech Wednesday and host Lynn on Saturday.
UT heads to Melbourne to meet Florida Tech on Wednesday at 5:30 pm, before hosting Lynn on Saturday at 2 pm in its regular-season finale.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AN EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.