TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa women's basketball team had no problem dismounting visiting Spring Hill College in its 2019-20 season opener as it led throughout the contest for a lopsided win.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final Score: Tampa 78, Spring Hill 46
Records: University of Tampa Spartans (1-0), Spring Hill College Badgers (0-1)
Location: Bob Martinez Athletics Center || Tampa, Fla.
All-Time Series: Tampa has taken all three meetings against its fellow South Region opponent after previously winning over the Badgers in 2017 and 1986.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1st Quarter | Tampa set the tone early and held its momentum for the remainder of the quarter after scoring the first five points of the game. With a score of 14-6, the Spartans proceeded to outscore its opponent 11-0 in the final 3:14 of the quarter. Senior point guard Kris Nelson picked up where she left off at the 2019 NCAA South Regional with 11 points to lead Tampa in the first 10 minutes. || Tampa 25, Spring Hill 6
2nd Quarter | The visiting Badgers mounted a rally in the second quarter to come within striking distance of the Spartans. Spring Hill would outscore UT 20-13 in the quarter as the Spartans were just 3-for-12 from the field. UT did force six SHC turnovers, fueled by a pair of steals from Dori Nagy. || Tampa 38, Spring Hill 26
3rd Quarter | The Spartans put to bed any hopes of a comeback from the Badgers as they outscored their opponent 23-10 in the third quarter. The Spartans regained their shooting touch with a 53.8 percent field goal percentage while going a perfect 8-for-8 from the free-throw line. Junior transfer LaShayla Wright-Ponder led UT with eight points, three rebounds and a blocked shot. || Tampa 61, Spring Hill 36
4th Quarter | UT coasted through the fourth quarter, outscoring its opponent 17-10. Freshman Samantha Matthews made her collegiate debut and connected on a pair of 3-pointers in the final minutes to finish with six points. Tampa was 7-for-11 from the field in the final 10 minutes. || Tampa 78, Spring Hill 46
INSIDE THE STATS:
- All five Spartan starters finished in double figures, led by 18 points from Nelson. The others included Wright-Ponder (15), Julia Ingram (15), Nagy (10) and Melijah Sullivan (10).
- Wright-Ponder was also in double figures with 11 rebounds as the Hampton transfer notched a double-double in her first game as a Spartan.
- Nagy led the way with six assists.
- Tampa was a perfect 16-for-16 from the free-throw line as Nelson was 7-for-7. Wright-Ponder connected on all three from the charity stripe as Nagy, Mya Giusto and Aliyah Abney were each 2-for-2.
- Ingram was 5-for-8 from 3-point range to lead Tampa's long-range attack.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Head coach Tom Jessee played a total of 10 players with eight different Spartans totaling over 10 minutes of play.
- This is the third straight win in a season opener for the Spartans.
- The 22-point margin was the largest in an opener for UT since 2010 when the Spartans handed Warner a 31-point loss.
- This is the third time in school history where UT was perfect from the free-throw line. The others came at Saint Leo (11-11, 2/18/2009) and Colorado-Colorado Springs (21-21, 11/26/2005).
UP NEXT: Tampa concludes the opening classic in another regional matchup on Saturday against West Georgia at 6 p.m.
Text Alerts: UT also offers a free text messaging service that sends text alerts following all Spartan events. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.
Front Row: Download the official app of UT Athletics on the Apple or Android store. Look for Tampa Spartans Front Row app to receive notifications from your favorite Spartan teams. The app is completely free.