LAKELAND, Fla. – The University of Tampa women's golf team matched up with several top teams at the Lady Moc Golf Classic, playing to a seventh-place finish.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
UT Finish: 7th, 902 strokes, +38 (300-298-304)
Team Champion: Nova Southeastern, 882 strokes, +18 (287-304-291)
Host: Florida Southern College
Location: Grasslands Golf and Country Club | Lakeland, Fa.
Total Rounds: 3
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube
TOP SPARTAN PERFORMERS:
- Kiira Riihijarvi | 4th overall, 214 (-2)
- Emily Montagnino | 43rd overall, 232 (+16)
- Heather Kipniss | 43rd overall, 232 (+16)
- Sydney Stengel | 52nd overall, 233 (+17)
- Sofia Cadavid | 61st overall, 235 (+19)
- In her second tournament of the spring, Riihijarvi notched her second straight top-five finish and fifth of the 2018-19 season.
- Riihijarvi carded rounds of 73, 69 and 72. She turned in the top-three rounds for all Spartans, as Stengel had a second-round score of 73.
- This marks the second number-two finish on the team for Montagnino as the freshman also followed Riihijarvi at the Jekyll-O-Lantern Intercollegiate in the fall.
- Head coach Missey Jones did not register any individuals.
- A total of 17 teams competed.
- Seher Atwal of Rollins was the individual champion with a three-round score of 211 (-5).
- Joining team champion Nova Southeastern, host Florida Southern (8) and UT from the Sunshine State Conference were Barry (T-2), Lynn (T-2), Florida Tech (4), Saint Leo (5), Rollins (9), Embry-Riddle (13), Palm Beach Atlantic (14) and Eckerd (17).
- Nine of the 17 teams finished the fall season ranked in the WGCA Division II National Poll, including four of the top-10. Leading that group are No. 3 Nova Southeastern, No. 4 Barry, No. 5 Rollins, and No. 10 Florida Southern. The other nationally ranked teams are No. 12 Limestone, No. 13 Lynn, No. 18 Florida Tech, No. 21 Saint Leo, and No. 22 Tampa. Flagler and West Florida are receiving votes in the national poll.
- Among the top players competing are Golfstat's No. 1 ranked individual, senior Sophie Madden of Nova Southeastern, No. 4 ranked junior Kiira Riihijarvi of Tampa, junior Seher Atwal of Rollins who is ranked No. 6, and senior Tilda Larsson of Barry, the reigning Super Region 2 champion who is ranked No. 9. Larsson, Atwal, and Riihijarvi all finished in the top-10 at the 2018 Division II National Finals, and Larsson was selected as the WGCA National Player-of-the-Year.
Tampa returns to action on March 11-12 as it competes at the Peggy Kirk Bell Invitational. The tournament will be hosted by Rollins College at Golden Bear Club at Keene's Pointe in Lake Butler, Fla.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.