HICKORY, N.C.-The University of Tampa women's lacrosse team lost by a score of 14-13 to the Lenoir-Rhyne University Bears.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lenoir-Rhyne 14, Tampa 13
Records: Tampa (5-7), Lenoir-Rhyne (8-3)
Location: Moretz Field | Hickory, N.C.
All-time Series: Lenoir-Rhyne leads the series 2-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Bears took the first goal of the game.
- At 26:06, Claire Swanson had her first goal the game and tied to score to 1-1.
- Natalie Carraway took the lead for Tampa with an unassisted goal.
- Lenoir-Rhyne tied the game at 16:54.
- One minute later the Bears took a 3-2 lead.
- At 12:40 another Bears goals makes it 4-2.
- Caroline Forester with an assist from Rachel Crawford brings the game within one goal.
- Shannon Sweeney converts a free position attempt to a goal and tied the game to 4-4.
- Lenoir-Rhyne has the final goal of the half to take a one goal lead.
- Tampa's Amanda Voges ties the score to 5-5 with 26:40 left on the clock.
- Two goals from the Bears makes it 7-5.
- Carraway, with her second goal of the night with an assist from Voges brings the game within one goal.
- Bears strike again to take a two-goal lead.
- Voges with her second goal of the night at 22:03 brings the game within one goal.
- Two Bears goals gives them a lead of 10-7.
- At 17:01, Forester has an unassisted goal.
- Two minutes later the Bears take an 11-8 lead over Tampa.
- Another two goals from the Bears makes their lead 13-8.
- Amanda Rom, with two minutes left in the game, takes advantage of a free position to bring the score to 13-9.
- 10 seconds later, Maggie Gladden makes it 13-10.
- Carraway strikes for the third time, converting a free position attempt to a goal, now trailing 13-11.
- A goal from Swanson brings the game within one goal and just over a minute on the clock.
- The Bears take a two-goal lead with less than a minute on the clock.
- Another goal from Swanson makes it 14-13, less than 10 seconds left on the clock.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Voges had three points, two goals and one assist. With one draw control, one caused turnover and two groundballs.
- Forester had two goals and two draw controls.
- Swanson tallied a goal, two draw controls and one groundball.
- Carraway had two goals.
- Gladden had two groundballs and one goal.
- Crawford had one assist, one ground ball and one caused turnover.
- Freshman Mackenzie Hackett played the entire match in goal, tallying five saves.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Junior Rom is approaching 100 career points with 98 so far. She will be the second Spartan to reach this milestone.
Tampa returns to action on Monday at Queens (N.C.). The matchup will start at 3:00 p.m. in Charlotte, N.C. Live stats will be available through TampaSpartans.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.