TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa women's lacrosse team falls to the No. 13 Limestone College Saints by a final score of 13-11.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: University of Tampa 11, Limestone College 13
Records: Tampa (1-1, SSC 1-0), Limestone (2-0, CC 1-0)
Location: Naimoli Family Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Saints lead the all-time series, 5-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Seven minutes into the game, freshman Claire Swanson put UT on the board first with a goal from Rachel Crawford.
- However, the Saints were quick to respond with a goal of their own 40 seconds later.
- The next goal for the Spartans was scored with 21:42 remaining in the period, this time from Crawford herself.
- Once again, Limestone answered twenty seconds later, tying the game at 2.
- Then with 12 minutes left in the half, Swanson netted her second goal of the day, this time from senior Amanda Rom.
- Limestone then scored five unanswered goals, putting them ahead 7-3 with 4:42 left in the half.
- Finally, Swanson berried another one on a free position shot.
- The Saints earned one more goal before the half, however, with four seconds left on the clock, Caroline Forester was able to net a goal, the assist from Crawford.
- The Spartans trailed the Saints at the half, 8-5.
- Coming out of the half, senior Shannon Sweeney scored a goal for the Spartans, the assist from Rom.
- The Saints scored again, holding the lead 9-6.
- UT then bounced back with two consecutive goals from Carly Vaccaro and Maggie Gladden respectively. Both goals came from senior Rom. The Spartans now only trailed the Saints by one.
- With 19:20 left in the second period, Limestone's Courtney Lafler scored again, making the score Saints 10, Spartans 8.
- The Saints then continued their momentum with another goal, pushing their lead to 11-8.
- The Spartans then took a timeout with 10:30 left in the game, still trailing by three.
- After the scoreless drought for the Spartans, Swanson finally scored her fourth goal for UT with 9:02 remaining in the game.
- With 4:44 left in the game, Kayla Kosubinsky netted her first goal of her collegiate career to bring the match to a one-score game. The assist by Crawford.
- However, Limestone answered almost immediately after, trying to establish a lead at 12-10.
- The Saints then scored again with 1:59 left, now leading by three.
- UT is forced to call a timeout to discuss the final two minutes of play.
- Caroline Forester gets her second goal of the day, the assist once again from Rom. Tampa now trails by two 13-11.
- The No. 13 Limestone College Saints defeat the University of Tampa Spartans 13-11.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Swanson led the Spartans with four goals on the day.
- Additionally, Rom and Swanson led the Spartans in draw control wins with 3 each.
- Crawford led the Spartans in assists with four. Additionally, she had one goal for UT.
- Sweeney had four ground balls, one caused turnover and one goal for the Spartans.
- Bridget Sutter had 7 saves.
- Tampa tallied 26 shots on the day.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Kosubinsky scored the first goal of her college career.
Tampa returns to action on Thursday, February 22nd on the road against the Queens University of Charlotte Royals. The Spartans will then travel over to Belmont, North Carolina on Saturday, the 24th, where UT will take on the Crusaders of Belmont Abbey. These games are scheduled for 7:00 p.m. and 12:00 p.m. respectively. Live stats will be available through TampaSpartans.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.