TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa women's lacrosse defeats the Seton Hill Griffins by a final score of 13-11.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: University of Tampa 13, Seton Hill University 11
Records: Tampa (4-2, SSC 1-0), Seton Hill (1-2)
Location: Naimoli Family Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans and the Griffins are tied in the all-time series, 1-1.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After a scoreless ten minutes, the Seton Hill Griffins were the first team on the board, scoring with 19:48 left in the half.
- However, Graeme Eber was quick to answer, tying the game at one off a free position shot.
- Seton Hill then scored the next three goals, giving them the 4-1 lead with 7:11 remaining in the half.
- Sophomore, Maggie Gladden then netted a goal for Tampa with 2:15 left to play.
- The Griffins scored 16 seconds later, cushioning a 5-2 lead with 1:59 left in the half.
- However, junior Rachel Crawford scored off the assist from Kayla Kosubinsky with just 21 seconds left in the period.
- Heading into halftime, the Seaton Hill Griffins led the University of Tampa Spartans 5-3.
- Coming out of the half, UT was the first team to score with a man-up goal from Allie Popelar.
- A little over a minute later, Caroline Forester tied the game at five.
- Seton Hill then scored back-to-back regaining their two-point lead.
- With 24:14 remaining in the game, freshman Kayla Kosubinsky stated a goal for Tampa, her sixth goal of the season.
- Tampa then scored two unanswered goals giving the Spartans their first lead of the game 8-7. These goals came from the sophomore duo of Claire Swanson and Maggie Gladden.
- The Griffins showed no quit and tied the game up at eight with 15:08 remaining.
- UT then scored two more goals. The first from Graeme Eber, her second of the day, followed by Kosubinsky's second goal of the game.
- Seaton Hill retaliated with 11:12 remaining on the clock. The Spartans still led the Griffins 10-9.
- Swanson then buried her second goal of the night off a free position shot.
- A minute later, Popelar got her second goal of the game, giving UT the 12-9 lead.
- With 4:08 remaining, Mallary Weinsz scored the Spartans final goal of the game.
- Seton Hill then scored the final two goals of the contest. However, despite their best efforts, the University of Tampa defeated the Seton Hill University Griffins by a final score of 13-11.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- On offense, five different Spartans all recorded two goals. These ladies included Kosubinsky, Swanson, Popelar, Eber, and Gladden.
- Kosubinsky also had the team's only assist of the contest.
- Defensively, the Spartans were led by Alexa Scudillo, who recorded six caused turnovers and four ground balls.
- Bridget Sutter remained the entirety of the game in the goal for Tampa and recorded 11 saves.
On Saturday, March 10th the Spartans will host the North Greenville University Crusaders at noon. Live stats will be available through TampaSpartans.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.