WINTER PARK, Fla. –The University of Tampa women's lacrosse team falls to the No. 9 Rollins College Tars, 21-16 in its season opener.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 19 Tampa Spartans 16, No. 9 Rollins College Tars 21
Records: Tampa (0-1), Rollins (1-0)
Location: Barker Family Stadium at Cahall-Sandspur Field | Winter Park, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans are now 1-6 against the Tars.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Four minutes into the game, the Rollins College Tars were the first team on the board.
- However, with 23:53 remaining in the half, junior Claire Swanson netted Tampa's first goal of the 2019 season, the assist from Maggie Gladden.
- Rollins then scored three more goals before UT's Rachel Crawford scored a man-down goal with 9:00 left in the half.
- Rollins once again went on a scoring frenzy, netting six more before the half.
- Then with :41 seconds left, newcomer Kristyn Staley scored for UT, the assist by Swanson.
- At the end of the half, the Tars were defeating the Spartans 10-3.
- Just :20 seconds into the second half, Staley picked up right where she left off and scored her second goal of the day.
- The Tars scored once more before Swanson decided she wanted another goal as well.
- Rollins responded with two more goals.
- Carly Vaccaro then netted her first goal of the 2019 season, with the assist from Rachel Crawford.
- Swanson then earned her third goal of the game, lessening Rollins lead to 13-7.
- Following Swanson's goal, less than a minute later Crawford scored for the Spartans off the assist from Caroline Forester.
- Vaccaro then scored her second and final goal of the game with an assist by Swanson.
- Rollins refused to back down scoring three more goals on the Spartans.
- Staley then netted another goal for Tampa, followed by another goal from Swanson off the free position shot.
- The Spartans didn't score again until there were 10 minutes left in the game, and Vaccaro netted one off the pass from Crawford.
- With 8:42 remaining, junior Maggie Gladden scored the first goal of her junior campaign.
- Swanson then scored, making it 17-14 in favor of Rollins. Swanson's goal was off the assist from Crawford.
- Rollins then netted three more goals.
- Gladden scored again with 2:18 remaining in the game off the assist from Staley.
- Staley then scored Tampa's final goal of the game with 1:40 remaining.
- The Rollins Tars defeated the Tampa Spartans by a final score of 21-16.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Claire Swanson lead all Spartans offensively with five goals and two assists. Following her efforts was that of Kristyn Staley who earned four goals and one assist.
- Rachel Crawford led the Spartans in assists with three.
- Defensively, Claire Swanson led the Spartans with 9 draw controls and three caused turnovers. Alexa Scudillo also had three caused turnovers for UT.
UP NEXT: The Spartans will play in their home opener as they welcome the Queens Royals on Saturday, February 16th. The game will be held at Naimoli Family Field and is slated to begin at 1:00 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.