TAMPA, Fla. –The University of Tampa women's lacrosse team earned their first win of the 2019 season, defeating the Queens University Royals by a final score of 18-15.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 19 Tampa Spartans 18, Queen University Royals 15
Records: Tampa (1-1), Queens (0-1)
Location: Naimoli Family Athletic and Intramural Complex | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans are now 1-5 against the Royals.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The University of Tampa Spartans were the first team on the board with an unassisted goal from Caroline Forester. However, the Royals answered less than 20 seconds later.
- Carly Vaccaro then netted a free position shot with 27:06 left in the half.
- The Royals then scored the next five goals of the contest taking the lead 6-2.
- Junior Claire Swanson then got her first goal of the game off a free position attempt.
- The Royals then scored, however, the Spartans were able to answer with back-to-back goals from senior Megan Sengelmann and by freshman, Lizzie Pierpont. These were both of their first goals of the 2019 season, Pierpont's first collegiate goal.
- Vaccaro then scored her second goal of the day, narrowing the Royals lead to one at 7-6.
- Both teams scored once more in the first half. Tampa's final goal came from Maggie Gladden off the assist from Rachel Crawford.
- At the end of the half, the Royals were defeating the Spartans 8-7.
- Two minutes into the second half the Royals scored again increasing their lead to two.
- However, Foresteranswered off the assist by Kristyn Staley.
- The Royals scored once more before the Spartans scored five unanswered goals.
- The first was from Gladden on a free position, then with 22:13 remaining Kayla Kosubinskynetted her first goal of the day off the assist by Kristyn Staley.
- Shortly after Forester scored a man-up goal, also assisted by Staley. Crawford then fed Gladden for a goal, and Gladden then fed Forester to take the 13-10 lead.
- Queens scored three more times before Swanson got her second and then third goal of the day with 11:22 remaining.
- Kosubinskythen gave UT the 16-13 lead before Queens retaliated with two more goals.
- Rachel Crawford then netted another goal for the Spartans off the assist by Caroline Forester.
- Vaccaro then earned her third and final goal of the game.
- The No. 19 University of Tampa Spartans defeated the Queens University Royals by a final score of 18-15.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Caroline Forester led the Spartans offense with four goals and one assist. Following her efforts was that of Carly Vaccaro, Claire Swanson, and Maggie Gladden who all earned three goals.
- Kristyn Staley led the Spartans in assists with four.
- Defensively, Claire Swanson led the Spartans with 11 draw controls, while freshman Danielle Waters had a team-high of three caused turnovers.
- Freshman Lizzie Pierpont earned her first collegiate goal.
UP NEXT: The Spartans face the Limestone College Saints on Thursday, February 21 in Gaffney, S.C. This game is slated to begin at 4:00 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.