GAFFNEY, S.C. –The No. 19 University of Tampa women's lacrosse team UPSETS the No. 11 Limestone College Saints by a final score of 20-11. This marks the first time in program history that the Spartans have defeated the Saints in Women's Lacrosse.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 19 Tampa Spartans 20, Limestone College Saints 11
Records: Tampa (2-1), Limestone (2-1)
Location: Saints Field | Gaffney, S.C.
All-time Series: This win marked Tampa's first ever against Limestone. The Spartans are now 1-5 against the Saints.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Limestone College Saints were the first team to score with 28:23 remaining in the half.
- However, Maggie Gladden earned her first goal of the day with 25:37 left, tying the game at 1.
- After Limestone scored again, Gladden netted another goal for UT off the assist by Kristyn Staley.
- UT's Lizzie Pierpont then earned back-to-back goals for Tampa. The first off the pass from Rachel Crawford, the second from Kayla Kosubinsky.
- Then with 16:41 remaining in the half, Claire Swanson scored off a free position attempt, giving the Spartans the 5-2 lead.
- Staley then stated a goal of her own.
- Limestone College scored the last three goals of the half.
- At the end of the first half, the No. 19 Spartans were defeating the No. 11 Saints 6-5.
- Coming out of the half, the Saints scored four unanswered goals, proving they would not be defeated without a fight.
- Finally, Carly Vaccaro ended Tampa's scoring drought off a free position shot.
- Less than a minute later, Pierpont narrowed the Saints lead to one, scoring her third goal of the day.
- Swanson then tied the game at 9 with 14:28 left in the contest.
- Vaccaro then scored back-to-back goals for the Spartans. The second goal came from the assist by Swanson.
- Gladden then netted her third goal of the game off the pass by Crawford.
- With 10:38 remaining, Allie Popelar scored a goal off a free position attempt, giving Tampa the 13-9 lead.
- Crawford then scored her first goal of the game off the assist by Popelar.
- Finally, Limestone scored another goal narrowing Tampa's lead to four.
- Gladden then scored back-to-back goals less than a minute apart. The first came from senior, Megan Sengelmann. The second was off the assist by Vaccaro.
- The Saints scored again before Gladden netted her sixth and final goal of the game. This time the assist was by Vaccaro.
- Pierpont then scored off a pass from Vaccaro with 3:52 left in the contest. The Spartans led the Saints 18-11.
- Caroline Forester then earned the last two goals of the contest. Both off the assist by Crawford.
- The No. 19 Spartans defeated the No. 11 Saints by a final score of 20-11.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- This was the Spartans first time in program history defeating the Saints.
- Maggie Gladden had a whopping six goals for the Spartans, followed by Lizzie Pierpont with four, and Carly Vaccaro with three.
- Rachel Crawford led the Spartans in assists with four, followed by Vaccaro who tallied three.
- Defensively, Crawford had three caused turnovers for Tampa. Both Abby Coccagna and Claire Swanson had two caused turnovers for UT.
- Swanson also led the Spartans in draw control wins, ending the contest with eight.
- Allie Popelar earned her first goal of her final season.
- Bridget Sutter suited up as goalkeeper for the Spartans recording 12 saves.
UP NEXT: The Spartans face the North Greenville University Crusaders on Saturday, February 23 in North Greenville, S.C. This game is slated to begin at noon at Pepsi Stadium.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.