TAMPA, Fla. –The No. 9 Regis Rangers slip past the No. 11 University of Tampa Spartans in overtime, by a final score of 20-19.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 11 Tampa Spartans 19, No. 9 Regis Rangers 20
Records: Tampa (3-2), Regis (3-0)
Location: Regis Lacrosse Field | Denver, Colo.
All-time Series: The Rangers now lead the all-time series with the Spartans 1-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Less than a minute into the game, junior Carly Vaccaro was the first player to score, putting Tampa on the board first.
- Regis answered with a goal of their own.
- With 26:48 left in the first half, Caroline Forester netted one for the Spartans off the Assist by Claire Swanson.
- Regis then scored the next seven goals, cushioning their lead 8-2.
- The Spartans battled back with two goals. The first was by Kristyn Staley who was assisted by Forester, the second goal was from Lizzie Pierpont.
- The Rangers scored again before senior Rachel Crawford buried one in the cage with 12 minutes to play.
- Regis then scored their 10thand 11thpoint before Tampa went on a four-goal run.
- The Spartans first goal was a man-up goal by Carly Vaccaro.
- Staleynetted the second with 7:21 remaining in the half.
- The Spartans last two goals of the first half were scored by Pierpont and Forester respectively. Pierpont'swas off the assist by Vaccaro. Pierpont herself assisted Forester.
- Regis scored again with :42 remaining in the half.
- Heading into halftime, the Regis Rangers led the Tampa Spartans 12-9.
- Coming out of the half, the Spartans were back on the board first with a goal from Forester.
- Claire Swanson then scored her first goal of the day, before Staley and Pierpont each stated another goal in the contest.
- The Rangers scored four more unanswered goals before Vaccaro ended Tampa's scoring drought with 16:08 remaining.
- Vaccaro then scored again for the Spartans with 13:38 remaining, narrowing the Rangers lead 17-15. This goal came off the pass by Crawford.
- The Rangers and Spartans then traded goals. Once again it was Vaccaro who scored for UT, off the assist by Staley.
- Claire Swanson then scored back-to-back goals for the Spartans tying the game at 18.
- Regis scored their 19thgoal with 4:30 remaining.
- Less than a minute later Allie Popelar scored the Spartans last goal of the game, sending the contest into overtime.
- With 3:53 left in extra minutes, the Rangers scored the first goal, thus winning the game 20-19.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Carly Vaccaro was once again UNSTOPPABLE, leading all Spartans on offense with a whopping five goals and one assist.
- Following Vaccaro's performance, Claire Swanson earned three goals and two assists.
- Caroline Forester, Kristyn Staley, and Lizzie Pierpont all stated three goals and one assist.
- Swanson led the Spartans in draw control wins with 11 in the contest.
- Swanson and Forester also led the team in caused turnovers, each with three.
- Bridget Sutter played then entire 62:07 for the Spartans. In the contest, she tallied nine saves.
UP NEXT: The Spartans will take on the University of Colorado – Colorado Springs Mountain Lions on Monday, March 4th. This game will begin at 7:00 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.