TAMPA, Fla. –The No. 11 University of Tampa Spartans defeat the University of Colorado-Colorado Springs Mountain Lions by a final score of 16-4.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 11 Tampa Spartans 16, Colorado-Colorado Springs Mountain Lions 4
Records: Tampa (4-2), Colorado-Colorado Springs (1-3)
Location: Mountain Lion Stadium | Colorado Springs, Colo.
All-time Series: The Spartans now lead the all-time series with the Mountain Lions 1-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first two goals of the game were scored by the University of Tampa.
- The first two of the contest were scored by Tampa's Kristyn Staley.
- Carly Vaccaro then netted her first of the day off a free position shot, which was followed by Kayla Kosubinskysinking one with 21:16 still remaining in the half.
- With 20:36 left in the half, the Mountain Lions scored their first goal of the contest.
- The Spartans retaliated with three more goals giving them the 7-1 lead. The first came from senior Rachel Crawford. Staley then earned her second of the day followed by Caroline Forester with her first.
- Colorado – Colorado Springs then earned their second goal with 8:09 left in the half.
- To end the first half, UT scored the next five goals, giving them the 10-point lead and thus initiating the running clock.
- The last five goals of the half were scored byVaccaro from Maggie Gladden, Kosubinsky, Lauren McNeill, Lizzie Pierpont, and Claire Swanson respectively.
- Heading into halftime the Spartans led the Mountain Lions 12-2.
- Coming out of the half, the Spartans picked up right where they left off, with back-to-back goals from Forester and McNeill. Forester's goal was off the assist by Hannah Bush, while McNeill's was off the assist by Kosubinsky.
- UCCS then answered with two goals. These were their final two points of the game.
- To end the game, Kosubinsky netted one more off the free position attempt, followed by the final goal of the contest from Gladden.
- The No. 11 University of Tampa Spartans defeated the University of Colorado – Colorado Springs by a final score of 16-4.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Kayla Kosubinsky led all Spartans on offense with three goals and one assist. Following her efforts was that of Kristyn Staley also with three goals.
- Lauren McNeill, Caroline Forester, and Carly Vaccaro all earned two goals in the contest.
- Claire Swanson led the Spartans in draws and caused turnovers with six and two.
- Both Bridget Sutter and Taylor Siskmanned the cage. They each recorded three saves on five shots.
UP NEXT: The Spartans will return home to host the Seton Hill Griffins on Saturday at noon.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.