TAMPA, Fla. –The No. 11 University of Tampa Spartans defeat the Seton Hill University Griffins by a final score of 18-8.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 11 Tampa Spartans 18, Seton Hill Griffins 8
Records: Tampa (5-2), Seton Hill (1-3)
Location: Naimoli Family Athletic and Intramural Complex | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans now lead the all-time series with the Griffins 2-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- To start the game, the Seton Hill Griffins scored the first two goals taking an early lead.
- Tampa answered with three straight goals. The first came from Claire Swanson off the assist by Kristyn Staley. The second came from Staley herself, followed by the last goal by Lauren McNeill with 22:35 remaining in the half.
- Seton Hill scored once more in the half, before UT scored the next 11 goals
- The first six goals were unassisted and scored by Swanson, Caroline Forester, Swanson, Forester, Carly Vaccaro, and Kayla Kosubinsky.
- Maggie Gladden then netted one off the assist by Kosubinsky increasing their lead 10-3.
- With 8:17 left in the half, Staley scored her second of the contest.
- Maggie Gladden then sunk another goal, her second as well.
- With 4:30 left in the half, Lizzie Pierpont scored off the assist by Lauren McNeill. This gave Tampa the 13-3 lead, thus initiating the running clock rule.
- The last goal of the half was scored by Staley with 2:44 remaining.
- Heading into halftime, the Spartans led the Griffins 14-3.
- Caroline Forester scored her third goal of the contest coming out of halftime.
- Finally, after 12 unanswered goals, the Griffins netted one.
- Staley then scored for the Spartans with 21:49 remaining.
- Seton Hill's Taylor Fox-Trudel earned the Griffin's fifth goal off a man-up shot.
- Tampa's final two goals were scored by Rachel Crawford and Claire Swanson respectively.
- The Griffins scored the last three goals of the contest.
- The No. 9 Spartans defeated the Seton Hill Griffins by a final score of 18-8.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Kristyn Staley led all Spartans on offense with four goals and one assist. Following her efforts was that of Claire Swanson who also netted four on the day.
- Caroline Forester earned a hat trick offensively with three goals of her own.
- Alexa Scudillo dominated for the Spartans on defense. The junior out of Millstone, N.J. had team-high of four caused turnovers and four ground balls, and also stated three draw control wins.
- Claire Swanson also had three draw control wins for UT.
- Bridget Sutter, Taylor Sisk, and Skylar Martinez all split time manning the cage. All three goalies logged one save.
UP NEXT: The Spartans will host the University of Alabama-Huntsville Chargers on Saturday, March 16 at 7:30 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.