TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 10 University of Tampa Spartans defeat the University of Alabama – Huntsville Chargers by a final score of 15-5.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 10 Tampa Spartans 15, UAH Chargers 5
Records: Tampa (6-2), Alabama - Huntsville (8-1)
Location: Naimoli Family Athletic and Intramural Complex | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans now lead the all-time series with the Chargers 3-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Junior Carly Vaccaro scored the first goal of the game off the assist by senior Megan Sengelmann.
- With 18:43 on the clock, UT netted another one, this time by Caroline Forester off the assist by Kristyn Staley.
- Alabama-Huntsville answered with two goals to tie the game.
- Tampa then scored five goals giving them the 7-2 lead.
- The first three of the five were scored by Staley, Claire Swanson, and Vaccaro respectively.
- The fourth was by sophomore Lauren McNeill off the assist by Staley, followed by a goal by Staley herself.
- Finally, UAH netted another one with 2:00 left in the half.
- The final goal of the half was scored by Tampa's Caroline Forester.
- Heading into halftime, the Spartans led the Chargers 8-3.
- To start the second half, the Chargers were the first team to score narrowing the Spartans lead 8-4.
- Three minutes later, Vaccaro scored for the Spartans off the pass by Rachel Crawford.
- Sophomore Kayla Kosubinsky then netted the Spartans 10thgoal off the free position attempt.
- Vaccaro then scored again for UT, her four fourth of the contest, this time the assist came from Maggie Gladden.
- Alabama-Huntsville then narrowed Tampa's lead to 11-5 with a Chargers goal.
- With 15:15 left in the game, Forester earned a hat trick with her third goal off the pass by Lizzie Pierpont.
- Kosubinsky then netted her second goal of the game increasing Tampa's lead 13-5.
- Similar to Forester, Staley sunk her third goal of the game with 9:51 remaining.
- At the 5:35 mark, Claire Swanson scored her second goal of the contest initiating the running clock. The assist was by Staley.
- The No. 10 University of Tampa Spartans defeated the University of Alabama-Huntsville Chargers by a final score of 15-5.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Carly Vaccaro led the Spartans in goals with four.
- Kristyn Staley led the team in assists with three, in addition to stating three goals.
- Caroline Forester also had three goals in the contest.
- Claire Swanson had a team-high of three caused turnovers. The junior also recorded two goals, four ground balls, and seven draw control wins.
- Abby Coccagna had four ground balls for UT.
- Bridget Sutter recorded 14 saves and seven ground balls for the Spartans.
UP NEXT: The Spartans will host SSC rival, Florida Southern in their first conference game of the season on Wednesday, March 27that 7:30 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.