TAMPA, Fla. – For the first time in program history the No. 10 University of Tampa women's lacrosse team UPSET the No. 3 Florida Southern College Moccasins by a final score of 16-14. Not only is this the Spartans first win over the Moccasins, but it is also the program's first win over a top-five opponent.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 10 Tampa Spartans 16, No. 3 Florida Southern Moccasins 14
Records: Tampa (7-2, SSC 1-0), Florida Southern (8-2, SSC 1-1)
Location: Naimoli Family Athletic and Intramural Complex | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: This was the first time in program history the Spartans have defeated the Moccasins in women's lacrosse. FSC leads the all-time series over UT 7-1.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Five minutes into the game, junior captain Claire Swanson scored the first goal of the contest off a free position shot.
- FSC answered thirty seconds later.
- Rachel Crawford then netted an unassisted goal for the Spartans, before FSC's Aubriana Benedetto tied the game at two.
- The Tampa Spartans then scored the next seven goals, giving UT the 9-2 lead.
- The first of the seven goals was scored by senior captain Caroline Forester.
- Swanson then drained her second goal of the contest off the assist by Kristyn Staley.
- Maggie Gladden then netted a goal, this time off the pass from Swanson.
- At the 12:59 mark, Carly Vaccaro earned her first goal of the contest, the assist by Rachel Crawford.
- The sixth of the seven goals was scored by Lauren McNeill.
- Maggie Gladden scored Tampa's ninth goal off the assist from Swanson.
- Finally, with 4:45 left in the half, the Moccasins ended Tampa's scoring run.
- Then with 4:21 remaining, Caroline Forester earned her second goal of the contest off the pass by Staley.
- The FSC Moccasins scored the last two goals of the half.
- Heading into halftime, the Spartans led the Moccasins 10-5.
- To start the second half, the Moccasins were the first team to score narrowing the Spartans lead 10-6.
- With 21:57 remaining in the contest, Kayla Kosubinsky netted a goal for the Spartans.
- Kristyn Staley then scored giving Tampa the 12-6 lead.
- Caroline Forester netted her third goal of the night with 15:32 remaining, the assist came by Rachel Crawford.
- Florida Southern then scored seven unanswered goals to tie the game at 13.
- However, Crawford responded ending the Moccasin's scoring run and giving Tampa the one point lead.
- Tampa then scored two more unassisted goals. Vaccaro netted one with 5:24 remaining and then Swanson earned the Spartans final goal with 4:11 on the clock.
- Florida Southern scored the last goal of the contest with 2:53 remaining.
- The No. 10 University of Tampa Spartans UPSET the No. 3 Florida Southern College Moccasins by a final score of 16-14.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Claire Swanson had a whopping four goals and two assists for the Spartans.
- Caroline Forester in addition to earning a hat trick on the night, stated her 100thcareer point as a Spartan.
- Rachel Crawford, Carly Vaccaro, and Maggie Gladden all had two goals in the contest. Crawford also had two assists.
- Alexa Scudillo had a team-high of three caused turnovers for the Spartans defense. Additionally, she logged five ground balls and one draw control win.
- Swanson led the Spartans in draws with nine, followed by Forester with three.
- Bridget Sutter faced 25 shots on the night. She recorded 11 saves and three ground balls for the Spartans.
UP NEXT:The Spartans will travel to Marietta, Georgia to play the Young Harris College Mountain Lions on Saturday, March 30th. The game is slated to begin at 4:00 p.m. and will be held at Kell High School.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.