TAMPA, Fla. –The No. 6 University of Tampa women's lacrosse team defeated the No. 22 Saint Leo Lions in their final home regular season contest of 2019 by a final score of 19-13.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 6 Tampa Spartans 19, No. 22 Saint Leo Lions 13
Records: Tampa (11-3, SSC 4-1), Saint Leo (13-3, SSC 2-3)
Location: Naimoli Family Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans lead the all-time series over the Lions 4-2.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the first minute of the contest, the No. 22 Lions were the first team on the board.
- With 27:04 left in the first half, Kristyn Staley netted the Spartans first goal of the contest.
- Saint Leo responded with a goal.
- Carly Vaccaro then earned her first goal of the contest off the free position shot.
- Once again the Lions responded keeping the one point advantage.
- However, the No. 6 Spartans then netted three goals giving them the 5-3 lead.
- The first two of the three was scored once again by Vaccaro, her second and third of the night. Staley assisted Vaccaro on one.
- The third Tampa goal was netted by Kayla Kosubinsky, the assist was by Vaccaro.
- Saint Leo then netted the next two tying the game at 5.
- Tampa responded with the last six goals of the first half.
- The first of the six came from junior Maggie Gladden.
- The second came from Claire Swanson off the assist from Staley.
- Caroline Forester then scored the third off the pass by Vaccaro.
- Staley herself then netted the fourth with 7:21 remaining off the assist from Swanson.
- The last two goals of the half were scored by Lizzie Pierpont and Gladdenrespectively. Gladden was assisted by Staley.
- Heading into halftime, the Spartans led the Lions 11-5.
- To start the second half, the No. 22 Lions came out hot, scoring the first three goals.
- Kayla Kosubinskythen ended their run with a goal for the Spartans.
- Saint Leo then scored four more, tying the game at 12.
- With 16:08 remaining in the contest Staley scored another goal for the Spartans.
- The Lions then scored their 13thand final goal of the contest with 14:16 left on the clock.
- The Spartans scored six more goals to win the game 19-13.
- The first two were netted by Vaccaro, both assisted by Kosubinsky.
- Lizzie Pierpont and Kristyn Staley each netted unassisted goals.
- With 4:19 remaining, Rachel Crawford logged a goal for herself.
- Finally, with 2:08 remaining, junior captain, Claire Swanson scored the final goal for the Spartans.
- The No. 6 University of Tampa Spartans defeated the No. 22 Saint Leo Lions by a final score of 19-13.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Carly Vaccaro had a whopping five goals and two assists for the Spartans, followed by Kristyn Staley with four goals and three assists.
- Defensively, seniors Abby Coccagna and Sarah Bell each stated two caused turnovers.
- In addition to having two goals in the contest, Claire Swanson had an outstanding 12 draw control wins.
- Bridget Sutter played goalie for the Spartans. She recorded a team-high of six ground balls, faced 24 shots and logged 11 saves.
UP NEXT: The Spartans will travel to Daytona Beach, Florida where they will take on the Embry-Riddle Eagles in their final regular season contest of 2019. This game will take place Saturday, April 20that 5:00 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.