DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. –The No. 6 University of Tampa women's lacrosse team defeated the Embry-Riddle Eagles 20-8 in their final regular season contest of the 2019 season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 6 Tampa Spartans 20, Embry-Riddle Eagles 8
Records: Tampa (12-3, SSC 5-1), Saint Leo (10-7, SSC 2-4)
Location: ERAU Lacrosse Field | Daytona Beach, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans lead the all-time series over the Eagles 2-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- ERAU was on the board first with a goal in the first 15 seconds.
- However, UT answered with four straight goals.
- The first of the four came from senior captain Caroline Forester off the assist by Rachel Crawford.
- Claire Swanson netted the second, this time from Forester.
- Forester, earned her second goal of the day with 23:53 remaining in the half. Maggie Gladden assisted her.
- The fourth goal for UT was scored by sophomore Kayla Kosubinsky.
- With 19:21 left to play in the first half, the Eagles scored their second point.
- Senior captain Allie Popelar answered with back-to-back goals. The first was assisted by Swanson.
- Kristyn Staley then netter her first goal of the game off the free position shot.
- The Eagles then narrowed the Spartans lead to 10-4 with a goal from Elizabeth Ninesling.
- The last two goals of the first half were scored by Maggie Gladden and Carly Vaccaro respectively.
- Heading into halftime, the Spartans led the Eagles 12-4.
- In the first 30 seconds of the second half, Popelar netted her third goal of the game, this time by Crawford.
- Less than a minute later, the Eagles responded with their fifth goal of the contest.
- Crawford herself then scored off the free position shot. Followed by another goal by Forester off the assist by Staley.
- ERAU then netted two with 18:06 left in the game.
- Senior Sarah Bell then scored off a free position shot.
- Vaccaro logged her second of the game with 14:00 left on the clock.
- Claire Swanson then downed back-to-back goals for the Spartans.
- The Eagles scored once more earning their eighth and final point.
- The final goal of the contest was scored by Forester, off the assist by Lizzie Pierpont.
- The No. 6 University of Tampa Spartans defeated the Embry-Riddle Eagles by a final score of 20-8.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Caroline Forester and Claire Swanson each earned four goals and one assist for the Spartans.
- Allie Popelar and Kristyn Staley each had three goals for UT.
- Defensively, Alexa Scudillo and Sarah Bell each had two caused turnovers. Scudillo recorded three ground balls and Bell stated two.
- Senior Captain Abby Coccagna also picked up three ground balls.
- In addition to having four goals in the contest, Claire Swanson had an outstanding 10 draw control wins.
- Bridget Sutter played goalie for the Spartans. She faced 15 shots and logged 7 saves.
UP NEXT: The Spartans will compete in the Sunshine State Conference tournament beginning Thursday, April 25that campus sites. Should the Spartans advance, the SSC Championship game will take place on Sunday, April 28th.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.