TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 3 University of Tampa women's lacrosse team fell in the NCAA Tournament by a one-goal differential to the visiting Queens University.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 10 Queens Royals 16, No. 3 Tampa Spartans 15
Records: Tampa (14-5), Florida Southern (19-2)
Location: Naimoli Family Athletic & Intramural Complex | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The South Region opponents split the decisions in 2019 as Queens now holds a 6-1 advantage in the all-time series.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and You Tube.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Royals needed just 30 seconds to score the game's first goal, which was answered by four straight for the Spartans as Carly Vaccaro and Kristyn Staley each netted a pair of scores.
- Queens responded with four straight goals of its own, grabbing a 5-4 lead.
- Maggie Gladden knotted the score at 5-5 with a goal at the 15:28 mark, and was followed by a pair of goals by Vaccaro.
- After a Queens goal, Tampa extended its lead to 11-6 via scores from Vaccaro, Rachel Crawford and a pair from freshman Lizzie Pierpont.
- The Royals took the momentum to the half with five unanswered goals in the final 3:14 of the first to draw even at 11-11.
- After each team scored in the second half, Queens took its first two-goal lead of the day following a pair of goals.
- Senior Caroline Forester answered for the Spartans as her goal at 23:02 cut the deficit to 14-13.
- Queens scored the games next two goals to take a 16-13 advantage.
- The Spartans went nearly 10 minutes without a goal before Gladden scored at 13:08.
- UT cut the Queens lead to 16-15 with a goal from Lauren McNeill with 10:23 to play.
- Neither team would score a goal in the final 10 minutes of play.
- Tampa held Queens without a shot in the final eight minutes of the game, outshooting the Royals 7-0.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Vaccaro led Tampa with five goals and two assists as her eight shots on goal were also a team best.
- Gladden added three goals while Pierpont and Staley each tallied a pair of scores.
- Kayla Kosubinsky finished with three assists.
- Claire Swanson had two assists and a team-best seven draw controls.
- Crawford caused three turnovers to lead the Spartans.
- Starting in goal for UT was Bridget Sutter, who finished with eight saves and five ground balls.
UP NEXT: UT will be the site of an NCAA Quarterfinal match on Sunday at noon with Queens meeting the winner of the other first-round matchup between Florida Southern and Rollins.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.