WINTER PARK, Fla. – The University of Tampa men's and women's swimming teams both opened the 2018-19 season with lopsided Sunshine State Conference wins over Rollins College.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Men's Final: Tampa Spartans 181, Rollins Tars 81
Women's Final: Tampa Spartans 196, Rollins Tars 66
Location: Alfond Swimming Pool | Winter Park, Fla.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The meet totaled 28 events, including 14 for the men and 14 for the women.
- Tampa's women took first in 12 races.
- The women took the top three spots in seven of the events.
- The Spartan men took 10 first-place finishes.
- UT's men claimed the top three spots in four races.
TOP PERFORMERS (MEN):
- The 400 Medley Relay was won by Dominic Russo, Youssef Khowessah, Luke Hene and Cameron Newton with a time of 3:31.42. UT also took the second and third spots in the race.
- Brian Valedon won the 1,000 Free in 9:46.92. He was followed by Felix Bartels and Nick Tinucci.
- Hene won a pair of races including the 200 Free (1:46.74) and 500 Free (51.02).
- Brett Saunders won the 100 Back with a time of 52.41 as teammates Russo and Andreas Johnsen were second and third respectively. Saunders would also win the 200 Back in 1:54.72 ahead of Johnsen and Russo.
- In the 100 Breast, Jared Fitzgerald took first with a time of 59.95. Christy Moon was second while Forrest Lundy was third overall.
- Aaron James had a time of 47.11 to win the 100 Free.
- The 200 Breast included a first-place finish by Austin Simpson with a time of 2:10.83.
- Newton won the 200 IM with a time of 1:57.00.
TOP PERFORMERS (WOMEN):
- UT won the 400 Medley Relay from Hana van Loock, Anja Oca, Isabelle Bularca and Molly O'Hara in 3:58.02 as a pair of Spartan teams followed to make up the top three.
- Elizaveta Bazarova won the 200 Free with a time of 1:55.05.
- The 100 Back was championed by van Loock in 59.74. The Spartans took the top three spots as Erin Hixenbaugh and Emily Clesen were the next to finish.
- McKenzie Street won the 100 Breast in 1:05.74 while Oca and Francesca Rusca also made up the top three.
- In the 200 Fly, Victoria Horsman won in 2:09.90.
- The 50 Free went to Megan Waddell as the Spartan came in at 23.97, ahead of Cat Sterlacci and Maureen Moore.
- O'Hara was first in the 100 Free in 54.31, followed by Anna Dzouenko and Jessie Tobin.
- Hixenbaugh won the 200 Back as she was timed at 2:10.20.
- The 200 Breast was won in 2:27.18 by Ali Lombardi. Bazarova was second while Rusca came in third.
- Moore was the top finisher in the 500 Free, winning in 5:05.56.
- In the 200 IM, Sterlacci took top honors at 2:10.89.
- The final race, the 200 Free Relay, went to the Spartans with a time of 1:39.70 from van Loock, O'Hara, Bularca and Lombardi. UT also claimed the second and third spots as well.
The Spartans compete in their home opener on Saturday at 10 a.m., against SSC opponent Nova Southeastern University. Video will be available through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.