TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa men's and women's swimming teams picked up a pair of convincing wins over Sunshine State Conference foe Nova Southeastern University.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Men's Final: No. 18 Tampa Spartans 157, No. 12 Nova Southeastern Sharks 105
Women's Final: No. 5 Tampa Spartans 159, No. 3 Nova Southeastern Sharks 103
Location: UT Aquatics Center | Tampa, Fla.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The meet totaled 28 events, including 14 for the men and 14 for the women.
- Tampa's women took first in eight races.
- The Spartan men took nine first-place finishes.
TOP PERFORMERS (MEN):
- Tampa took the top spot in the 200 Medley Relay to begin men's action as Luke Hene, Jared Fitzgerald, Andre Richardson and Aaron James were timed at 1:31.90.
- Cameron Newton was first in the 200 Free as he was clocked at 1:42.29.
- In the 100 Back, Hene was the first to finish as he stopped at 51.58. Brett Saunders was second in the race with a time of 52.48. Hene would later take first in the 200 Back with a time of 1:51.50.
- Freshman Marvin Slanschek won the 100 Breast with a time of 59.11.
- After being part of a top relay finish, James won the 50 Free in 21.09 as teammate Yannick Smith was second at 21.59. James then won the 100 Free in 46.93 as Fitzgerald was second at 47.30.
- Saunders turned in a first-place effort in the 200 Breast with a time of 2:09.47. Austin Simpson (2:10.61) and Forrest Lundy (2:13.00) made it a clean sweep for the Spartans in the race.
- The Spartans took the second relay with a 3:07.99 in the 400 Free Relay. The team consisted of James, Newton, Fitzgerald and Slanschek.
TOP PERFORMERS (WOMEN):
- The Spartans won the 200 Medley Relay to start the meet. The team of Hana van Loock, Elizaveta Bazarova, Molly O'Hara and Megan Waddell won in 1:46.15.
- Bazarova championed the 100 Breast in 1:04.37. The Spartans took the top-three spots as Anja Oca (1:06.85) and Ali Lombardi (1:08.06) followed the freshman. Bazarova would also win the 100 Free in 52.85 ahead of teammate Cat Sterlacci at 53.67.
- Courtney Sherwood was the first-place finisher in the 200 Fly with a time of 2:05.64. Sherwood also won the 400 IM with a time of 4:34.73.
- The 50 Free went to the Spartans as Megan Waddell was timed at 23.94. van Loock was second with a time of 24.57.
- Oca was first in the 200 Breast with a time of 2:23.41. Lombardi was second in the race with a time of 2:26.03.
- UT won the 400 Free Relay in 3:28.90 from Bazarova, van Loock, Waddell and Maureen Moore.
The Spartans welcome SSC rival Florida Southern College on Friday at 5 p.m. UT will offer a live broadcast through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.