CLEARWATER, Fla. - The University of Tampa women's swimming team captured the team title by a lopsided margin while the men's team finished second overall at the four-day Spartan Invite.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Men's Final: Indian River 1,002, Tampa 929.5, Florida Southern 665, Nova Southeastern 512.5, Saint Leo 487, Catawba 123
Women's Final: Tampa 1,329, Nova Southeastern 949, Indian River 722, Florida Southern 316, Saint Leo 252, Catawba 149
Location: Doyle Aquatic Center at the Long Center | Clearwater, Fla.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube
MEN'S TOP PERFORMERS:
- Cameron Newton was second in the 100 Free at 44.49. Coming in third was teammate Jared Fitzgerald, who was clocked at 44.70.
- Luke Hene was third in the 200 Back with a time of 1:47.32.
- Brett Saunders turned in a school record with a time of 1:59.39 in the 200 Breast to finish third. He broke the program's longest-standing record, which was previously set by UT Hall of Famer Matt Goodwin in 2002.
- The 400 Free Relay team of Newton, Fitzgerald, Yannick Smith and Aaron James were second with a time of 2:58.93.
WOMEN'S TOP PERFORMERS:
- The 1,650 Free included a third-place finish from Jessie Tobin as she was timed at 17:10.64.
- Tampa took the top two spots in the 100 Free, led by Hana van Loock and her time of 50.60. Megan Waddell followed at 51.00.
- Anja Oca was third in the 200 Breast as she finished in 2:20.81.
- The Spartans won the 400 Free Relay with a showing of 3:23.35 to close the Invite. UT's team included van Loock, Molly O'Hara, Waddell and Elizaveta Bazarova.
Tampa will take a break and return to action at home on Friday, January 4 against Indian River at noon. Fans may watch at TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.