FORT PIERCE, Fla. – The University of Tampa men's and women's swimming teams returned from break to face Indian River State College, with the Spartan women notching a victory.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Men's Final: Indian River Pioneers 145, No. 12 Tampa Spartans 117
Women's Final: No. 5 Tampa Spartans 179, Indian River Pioneers 83
Location: IRSC Aquatics Center | Fort Pierce, Fla.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The meet totaled 32 events, including 16 for the men and 16 for the women.
- Tampa's women took first in 11 races, including both relays.
- The Spartan men took five first-place finishes.
TOP PERFORMERS (MEN):
- UT won the 200 Medley Relay with a time of 1:32.55 from Luke Hene, Marvin Slanschek, Andre Richardson and Aaron James.
- The 100 Back was championed by Hene in 51.12.
- Brett Saunders posted a time of 57.60 to win the 100 Breast, and also took first in the 200 Breast at 2:05.11.
- James also won a pair of races, including the 50 Free in 20.99 and the 100 Free in 46.58.
TOP PERFORMERS (WOMEN):
- In the first race of the meet, UT was first in the 200 Medley Relay with a time of 1:47.59. The winning team included Torey Brierley, Elizaveta Bazarova, Molly O'Hara and Megan Waddell.
- Winning the 1,000 Free was Jessie Tobin after being timed at 10:40.63.
- Freshman Cat Sterlacci was the first to finish the 200 Free, doing so in 1:56.79. She would later win the 100 Free in 53.38.
- The 100 Breast went to Bazarova with a time of 1:05.24.
- Courtney Sherwood also won two races, taking both the 200 Fly in 2:06.87 and the 200 IM in 2:12.71.
- The 50 Free was another Spartan first-place finish, coming from Waddell in 24.23.
- The champion of the 200 Breast was McKenzie Street, who was clocked at 2:23.97.
- The 100 Fly was won by Isabelle Bularca, posting a time of 58.96.
- UT also took the 400 Free Relay in 3:33.60 from Waddell, O'Hara, Bazarova and Sterlacci.
UT returns home to host the annual Tampa Relays on Saturday at 10 a.m., at the UT Aquatics Center.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.