TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa men's and women's swimming teams closed out the regular season in impressive fashion with a pair of easy victories over visiting Keiser University on Senior Day.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Men's Final: No. 4 Tampa Spartans 166, Keiser Seahawks 91
Women's Final: No. 6 Tampa Spartans 174, Keiser Seahawks 79
Location: UT Aquatics Center | Tampa, Fla.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The meet totaled 28 events, including 14 for the men and 14 for the women.
- Tampa's women took first in all 14 races.
- The Spartan men took 12-of-14 first-place finishes.
- Honored priorn to the meet were eight seniors, who included The men's swimmers Mauricio Calderon, Forrest Lundy, Cameron Newton and Nick Tinucci. The women's seniors include Victoria Horsman, Ali Lombardi and McKenzie Street.
TOP PERFORMERS (MEN):
- The first men's race resulted in a first-place finish from the Spartans in the 800 Medley Relay, with a time of 7:34.15. The winning team included Luke Hene, Brett Saunders, Brian Valedon and Cameron Newton.
- Senior Nick Tinucci won the 800 Free with a time of 7:52.95.
- Another senior, Forrest Lundy, won the 200 Free as he was clocked at 1:44.60.
- Hene also won the 50 Back in 23.79.
- The 100 Fly resulted in a first-place finish from Valedon with a time of 51.68.
- Aaron James was timed at 21.42 to win the 50 Free.
- Newton, also a senior swimming his final meet at home, also took the 100 Free in 46.67.
- A first-place finish came from Saunders in the 100 Back with a time of 52.05. He would also win the 100 IM inn 52.82.
- Austin Simpson notched a victory in the 100 Breast as he was timed at 59.41.
- The 50 Fly was won by Andre Richardson after a time of 22.85.
- A final first-place finish was registered by the 800 Free Relay in the final race. The team of Hene, Newton, Lundy and Zane Richardson was clocked at 7:03.91.
TOP PERFORMERS (WOMEN):
- The Spartans opened the meet with a first-place finish from the 800 Medley Relay team of Courtney Sherwood, Ali Lombardi, Victoria Horsman and Hana van Loock. The winning time was 8:37.09.
- The 800 Free was championed by Jessie Tobin in 8:30.68. She would later take the 400 Free in 4:11.12.
- Maureen Moore was first in the 200 Free at 1:56.94.
- The 50 Free went to Torey Brierley after being timed at 28.45.
- Freshman Elizaveta Bazarova took the top spot with a time of 29.84 in the 50 Breast. She would also win the 100 Breast with a time of 1:05.26.
- Isabelle Bularca was the first to finish in the 100 Fly, winning with a time of 58.66. The freshman also won the 50 Fly with a time of 26.59.
- In the 50 Free, UT's Megan Waddell completed the race in 24.06, ahead of the others in the event. She would then take the next race, the 100 Free, with an effort of 52.94.
- van Loock was the first-place finisher in the 100 Back with a time of 58.89.
- Sherwood was the fastest swimmer in the women's 100 IM with a showing of 1:00.72.
- In the final event, Tampa won the 800 Free Relay with a time of 8:02.53 from Bazarova, Waddell, Megan Arnold and Melanie Sherrill.
Tampa now shifts its attention to the postseason, beginning with the Sunshine State Conference Championships on February 21-24 at the Clearwater Aquatics Center.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.