TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa tennis team dropped a slim 5-4 decision to Sunshine State Conference opponent and No. 29 Saint Leo University.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Saint Leo Lions 5, Tampa Spartans 4
Records: Tampa (7-5, 2-4 SSC), Saint Leo Lions (6-5, 2-3 SSC)
Location: Naimoli & Young Family Tennis Complex | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Saint Leo now leads the all-time series by a 19-17 margin.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
- The Spartans took a 3-0 advantage into signles as they won each nof the doubles contests.
- The number-one duo of Caroline Lozo and Emily Hewland took the top match by a score of 8-2.
- Lilley Nice and Maddie Stephens won at number two by a mark of 8-4.
- In number-three doubles, the duo of Ava Sowell and Danielle Beyes registered an 8-4 win.
- Saint Leo fought back to take five of six singles matches to clinch the victory.
- Beyes took the lone singles victory for the Spartans, winning at number six. The final score was 6-3, 6-1.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Stephens leads the way with 12 singles wins as she is 12-3 on the season. The sophomore ranks No. 14 in school history with 23 career singles wins.
- Nice and Sowell are each 11-3 in their freshman campaigns.
- Nice and Stephens are 13-2 from their number two doubles position.
- Beyes and Sowell are 12-2 at three doubles.
- Hewland ranks seventh in program history with 25 doubles victories.
UP NEXT: Tampa heads to south Florida for a pair of weekend matches. UT plays an exhibition at Broward College on Saturday at 10 a.m., followed by an SSC meeting on Sunday at No. 2 Lynn at 10 a.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.