FREDERICKSBURG, Texas – The University of Tampa tennis team picked up its second win in as many days as it defeated nationally-ranked No. 19 Tarleton State University in the last of three spring break matches in the Lone Star state.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa Spartans 5, No. 19 Tarleton State Texans 4
Records: Tampa (7-4), Tarleton State (3-4)
Location: Fredericksburg Tennis Courts | Fredericksburg, Texas
All-time Series: Thursday's matchup marked the first-ever meeting between NCAA Division II opponents.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
- Tarleton State took two of three doubles matches, with UT winning at number three.
- Tampa took four of six singles matches to decide the match, winning the three through six contests.
- Lilley Nice and Emily Hewland were the winning doubles duo by a score of 8-5
- Vanina Iordanova played to a 6-4, 6-4 number-three singles victory.
- Nice won a third-set tiebreak to win at four.
- Freshmen Corbin Dorsey and Amanda Baxter won at five and six.
- Baxter's victory came by a 6-0, 6-0 score.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Tampa finished the trip with a 2-1 record, defeating a nationally-ranked opponent and facing two regionally-ranked squads.
The Spartans conclude the spring break trip on Thursday at No. 19 Tarleton State University at noon.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.